Can a dog get sick from a ham bone? Get Your Pet Thinking

Can dogs chew on ham bones?

Yes, dogs can chew on raw ham bones, but only under constant owner supervision. Make sure you feed the bone after a meal and that it isn’t shorter than their muzzle so that your dog is discouraged from swallowing it whole.

Bone Fragments Can Cut the Mouth

Even if splinters don’t enter the digestive tract, they can still harm your dog. Shards may slice up the inside of your pup’s mouth, causing discomfort and making it difficult to eat. In some cases, splinters can even get stuck around the gums, tongue, or throat and lead to a nasty infection. If shards get caught in the windpipe, it may result in breathing difficulties or even suffocation.

Bone splinters in the mouth aren’t as serious a concern as splinters in the digestive tract. However, you may still want to see a vet to ensure that there is no bone lodged inside your dog’s mouth to avoid serious infections.

Can a dog get sick from a ham bone?

Splinters May Damage the Digestive Tract

If bone shards manage to make their way down into the stomach, they can perforate the delicate lining of the bowels. Even if most shards pass through, all it takes is one splinter puncturing the intestinal lining to cause internal bleeding.

Dogs with a perforated intestine need to see a vet as soon as possible for emergency surgery. Splinters need removal and damage to the bowels repaired to restore normal function.

Intestinal obstruction can be just as much of a health risk as a perforated bowel for dogs. Smaller splinters can build up and block free passage through the intestines, or your dog may end up swallowing a chunk of bone too large to pass.

In extreme cases, an obstruction caused by bone shards may perforate the intestine, leading to internal bleeding. A large enough obstruction can also restrict blood flow throughout the digestive tract, eventually killing the tissue.

If your dog is experiencing a bowel obstruction from errant bone shards, you should seek veterinary care immediately. Otherwise, the condition could prove fatal within a matter of days. Your vet can remove the obstruction through emergency surgery and hopefully repair any damage caused.

Can a dog get sick from a ham bone?

Peritonitis is a condition where the peritoneum, or abdominal lining, becomes inflamed after getting punctured. As an infection takes hold, your dog may experience discomfort, changes in appetite, and digestive difficulties.

Bone shards can easily tear into the abdominal wall and cause peritonitis. Many times, dogs don’t show symptoms until it’s too late. Once they do, the only course of action is immediate emergency surgery.

Ham Bones… Good for Dogs or not?

Your intention to bring your dog into the celebrations by gnawing on the ham bone may have gone awry when you notice that they ate the bone. What do you do? Read on to find out.

Eating a ham bone is always a reason for concern, as a ham bone is at a high risk of splintering and creating a sharp edge as it moves through your dog’s intestines. This can leave them at a high risk of internal bleeding and obstruction in the intestines. It can also cause an infection in the abdomen called peritonitis. Even if you know the signs and symptoms, many don’t show them until they are already very sick. They will require emergency surgery, and this has a 50-70% chance of survival.

It’s never a good idea to allow your dog to have or eat ham bones. While you can relatively safely give your dog a large bone and then watch him for every second, even this is not recommended. As far as experts are concerned, dogs should not have ham bones ever since they are dangerous. Still, want to give him one anyway? We’ve covered that at the end to make it as safe as possible.