AKC is a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to akc.org. If you purchase a product through this article, we may receive a portion of the sale.
Symptoms of Xylitol Toxicity in Dogs
The most common symptoms to watch out for after your dog has eaten some gum are:
If your dog eats gum, they may suffer from toxicity. Toxicity is a medical emergency and you should take your pup to the vet if they show any of the following symptoms:
Even if your dog is not exhibiting these symptoms, it is a good idea to contact your vet to determine the next steps. They may want to monitor your dog as a precaution.
If your dog eats gum without xylitol, your dog may end up with an upset stomach, especially if they ate a lot of it. You should keep a close eye on your dog because this gum may not be toxic but it does have other potential side effects if eaten including an intestinal blockage. Symptoms of intestinal blockage in your dog include drooling, vomiting, lack of appetite, and abdominal pain.
Since dogs are so curious, you may want to switch to gum without Xylitol in the future to avoid any serious issues.
What Should You Do If You Find Your Dog Has Eaten Gum?
Find out what type of gum he ate and what the ingredients are. If the gum is sugary without xylitol, your dog may end up with digestive upset, especially if he ate a lot of it. You should keep a close eye on your dog because an intestinal blockage may occur.
Symptoms of intestinal blockage in your dog include drooling, vomiting, lack of appetite and abdominal pain. Contact your vet if you see any of these symptoms in your dog after he’s eaten any amount of gum. If left untreated, an intestinal blockage could be fatal.
If the gum is sugar-free but did not contain xylitol (sorbitol, aspartame and mannitol are safe for dogs), the only possible complication you may see is the same as above – intestinal blockage.
If your dog has eaten gum containing xylitol, you should call your vet. If the ingestion has occurred within the last half an hour, your vet may recommend you try to induce vomiting at home with a three percent hydrogen peroxide solution. Only do this under the instruction of your vet. Some dog owners may not feel comfortable doing this or are unable to induce vomiting. In this case, you should rush your dog to the veterinarian before the thirty-minute time window expires.
If it has been more than thirty minutes since your dog has eaten the gum, or you’re unsure of when it happened, bring your dog to the vet easier. The sooner your dog receives veterinary treatment, the better his prognosis will be.
My Dog Ate Chewing Gum – What Do I Do Now? | Wag!
If the chewing gum your dog consumed contains xylitol, call your vet or an emergency line immediately.