Can pine sap make dogs sick? Essential Tips

Causes of House Pine Poisoning in Dogs

While the cause of the house pine plant’s toxicity is unknown, it is known that this plant contains an irritating sap. Possible causes of house pine poisoning include:

  • Sap coming into contact with skin, causing allergic reaction
  • Swallowed sap causing allergic reaction or irritation to the gastrointestinal tract
  • Toxic principle within the plant causes dermatitis
  • Diagnosis of House Pine Poisoning in Dogs

    If you have a house pine in your home or on your property, and your dog is exhibiting the above symptoms, take him to the veterinarian to have him examined and treated. If you suspect or know that your dog ingested this plant, take a piece of the plant with you to help the veterinarian with a proper diagnosis. If your dog started vomiting at home, taking a sample with you to the veterinarian clinic so it may be tested for plant material can also be helpful.

    Your veterinarian will perform a complete physical examination on your dog, including blood work, urinalysis, and biochemistry profile. He will also check his heart rate, temperature, and his skin for any irritations. The veterinarian may go ahead and perform emesis to test the contents if you were unable to bring a sample in on your own. He may also check his stools for any plant residue as well. Your veterinarian will also ask questions about your dog’s symptoms and the severity of the symptoms. He will also ask you about the quantity of house pine that was eaten.

    By studying your dog’s symptoms, and looking for any signs of toxicity, such as on the skin and with gastrointestinal upset, your veterinarian may come to a conclusion that your dog had a toxic reaction to this plant. Fortunately, house pine toxicity is not serious, and can be treated within a few hours unless your dog has reacted severely to eating a very large quantity. If this is the case, he may need to be kept overnight for treatment and observation before he may be allowed to return home.

    Is pine sap toxic or poisonous to cats?

    Pine sap has been proven to be mildly toxic to cats and can cause some major health hazards including kidney or liver damage, vomiting – if a cat ingests pine sap. This would entirely depend on how much pine sap the cat has eaten but can be fatal if the cat eats too much pine sap.

    How To Get Tree Sap Out Of Your Dog’s Fur

    The holidays are a time of merriment and relaxation for many, but it’s also a time of year when you should exercise plenty of care and caution when it comes to your pup. The hectic pace and traditions can sometimes interfere with household pet safety. For example, Christmas trees can be hazardous to pets and may make your furry friends ill.

    Dogs are very curious and often love to chew on and eat new things. Because of this, it’s important to make sure that your pup never chews on your Christmas tree and doesn’t eat tree needles that might have dropped to the floor. If your pet ingests needles, they could bring about serious gastrointestinal problems.

    Pine tree needles can puncture the soft tissues that line a dog’s digestive tract. Sometimes the pointy pine needle will move deep into the tissue causing a foreign body reaction, which often leads to severe infections and abscesses. Sometimes pine needles will simply become stuck somewhere weird, like between a dog’s teeth or at the back of the mouth.

    A lot of pine needles can also clump together and block the digestive tract. This can occur in the throat, stomach, or intestinal tract. Fake Christmas tree needles can be just as dangerous.

    Dogs who eat pine needles often vomit. This can occur because pine tree needles aren’t easily digested and tend to cause a lot of irritation as they slowly move through the digestive tract. Gastrointestinal blockages are usually associated with severe vomiting. Other symptoms to be aware of include:

    If you observe vomiting or any other sign that your dog ingested Christmas tree needles, fake or real, seek veterinary care for the pup. Note, too, that Christmas tree needles are also problematic for cats.

    Christmas tree needles aren’t only hazardous to a dog’s digestive tract but also to their paws. Needles can get stuck in or on your pet’s paws, a seriously uncomfortable situation that can lead to skin irritation and infection. Be sure to sweep near the tree regularly to help avoid such issues.

    In addition to the needles causing harm, the water in the Christmas tree stand can also cause issues for pets. Since the reservoir isn’t cleaned frequently, the water can become heavily contaminated with bacteria. Stands and covers are available that can limit a pet’s ability to drink Christmas tree water, but never use potentially toxic water additives for Christmas trees, including aspirin, if you have pets in your home.

    Talk to a veterinarian if your pet develops vomiting, diarrhea, or any other worrisome symptoms that may (or may not!) be caused by your Christmas tree.

    The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinarian advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical diagnosis, condition, or treatment options.

    This article is provided by Cuteness—the go-to destination for passionate pet parents. Cuteness has answers to all of your health, training, and behavior questions – as well as the cutest, funniest, and most inspiring pet stories from all over the world.

    Cuteness is the place for pet people. Whether you’re looking for adoption guides, in-fur-mation on your pet’s weird habits or showcases of pure pet cuteness, we’ve paw-sitively got it all. At Cuteness, we’re committed to working only with experts we’d trust with our own pets. We’ve done the legwork for you so you can focus your energy on loving and caring for your furry friends. We’re passionate about all things pet and fostering a community of pet lovers. Caring for pets isn’t always a walk in the park – but we’ve got you covered! Cuteness and Healthy Paws Pet Insurance had a content sharing agreement until 2021.