How do I know if my dog ate an edible? A Complete Guide

Common symptoms of a dog consuming Marijuana (an edible):

If your dog ate an edible infused with THC, it’ll take roughly 30 minutes to an hour for the weed to take effect.* Physically, you might notice dilated pupils, a slower heart rate, and difficulty walking, if they can walk at all.

Here are signs of mild to moderate cannabis poisoning in cats and dogs that you should keep an eye out for and report to your vet:

  • Drooling
  • Vomiting
  • Wobbly, uncoordinated movements
  • Disorientation
  • Barking, howling, whining
  • Dilated pupils or unusual eye movements
  • Incontinence
  • Breathing Difficulties
  • Shock or Collapse
  • Lethargy
  • Hyperactivity or agitation
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Most of the time, these symptoms won’t last long, but they can be agonizing for your pet. Keep them hydrated with lots of water.

    Signs of more severe marijuana poisoning include seizures and coma. You should contact an emergency veterinarian immediately if you spot these symptoms.

    Could an edible kill my dog?

    Can dogs die from marijuana intake? Technically, yes they can – but not from marijuana, from falling into a coma and choking on their vomit.

    Medicated edibles that are high in THC concentrations are the most dangerous to your dog, especially cookies or brownies with chocolate or raisins. (If that’s the case be sure to call poison control or an emergency animal clinic).

    Also, keep in mind that the effects of marijuana will likely be more intense and last much longer for dogs; they have a lot more cannabinoid receptors in their brain than humans.

    It is important to note that humans and animals do not react the same way to Marijuana!

    Dog Ate An Edible? What exactly happens and what’s the best way to handle it?

    In 1996 California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana, and in 2018 permitted recreational use of the acclaimed plant. Given marijuana’s success in alleviating chronic pain, regulating diabetes*, reducing anxiety, or helping to treat depression, it was only a matter of time before our pets would start using it. But, the new relationship between canines and cannabis is a love-hate. Sure dogs love treats, but it’s no fun when your dog eats your edible.

    In fact, over the past six years, there has been a 448% increase in marijuana cases with pets.* Listen, accidents happen. Curious pets get into things they’re not supposed to all of the time. However, it’s important to be cautious, especially when it comes to edible marijuana products like gummies, cookies, brownies, and chocolates.

    Like many concerned pet parents, you might be freaking out and start thinking the worst. Before you do, remember that pet insurance can help protect your dog in situations like this, and don’t forget to take a deep breath. Read on.

    What Happens If Your Dog Ingests Marijuana?

    Do you suspect that your dog may have eaten some weed, or do you know she did? Have you ever asked yourself, “what happens if my dog ate weed?” Ingestion of marijuana can be very dangerous to dogs, and it’s important to learn how to properly respond if this happens to your pet.

    Read through the article below to find out more about the best way to deal with a dog who has ingested weed. With the help of this information, you can react more quickly and take care of your dog fast, ensuring that she will have the best possible chance at recovery.