Causes of Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs
Sources of Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs
Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) includes the type of alcohol humans consume, but it is used in other products as well. Sources of ethanol include:
Methanol (methyl alcohol) is also called wood alcohol and is used in many household products. Products include:
Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) is best known as rubbing alcohol. It is more potent than the other two types of alcohol. Besides rubbing alcohol, it is used in:
What do you do if your furry friend gets into your stash?
So what do you do?
Remember: If your pot is an edible, it is more concentrated and thus more dangerous. Plus, humans can eat just one brownie, while the dog will eat the whole tray since they are hardwired to gorge themselves.
Best move: The minute you bring an edible or even a joint into the house, put it somewhere the dog can never get it. Experts suggest placing anything with an intense smell, like marijuana, in a glass jar and closing it tight. Aluminum foil also works to hide the odor and keep your dog from seeking it out. Or place it somewhere cold, like the freezer. That too will mask the odor and keep your dog from being curious.
: Karen Cox/Sheknows
How do you get alcohol out of your system quickly?
You make every effort to protect your pet from foods and substances that aren’t good for him, but once in a while your precious angel gets into something that can be bad for him.
We’ve talked about human foods that are toxic for dogs, but what about the unmentionables like marijuana, liquor or prescription medications?
This may come as a shock to you, but there are people out there who have marijuana (smokable and edibles) around their house. Other folks have booze or beer that might have been left unattended at a party or isn’t behind a padlock like your parents used to do (is that just me?). And then there are those people who may have a few Xanax or other prescription drugs lying around. It may not be a problem for you, but it is a problem for your dog. Just how big a problem and what you can do about it can mean the difference between life and death for your dog.
We asked Dr. Marty Becker, “America’s Vet” from Dr. Oz and GMA, to help us out.
Dr. Becker says, “People waste too much time when dealing with accidental drug ingestions before getting expert veterinary advice. This is not the time to get on Google. It’s the time to call an expert. That’s why I advise all pet owners to keep their veterinarian’s and the Pet Poison Helpline’s numbers handy!”