How do you get alcohol out of a dog’s system? Essential Tips

Causes of Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs

  • Alcohol is absorbed very quickly by the canine body, whether it be via the dermal route or by ingestion
  • Alcohol is metabolized by the liver: Ethanol to acetaldehyde, methanol to formaldehyde, and isopropanol to acetone
  • The central nervous system experiences depression due to the alcohol
  • Hypothermia and hypoglycemia are secondary to the toxicosis
  • Alcohol is an irritant of the gastric mucosa which triggers vomiting
  • Excessive vomiting leads to dehydration
  • Sources of Alcohol Poisoning in Dogs

    Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) includes the type of alcohol humans consume, but it is used in other products as well. Sources of ethanol include:

  • Alcoholic drinks
  • Fermenting (rising, raw) bread dough
  • Some oral liquid medications
  • Some mouthwashes
  • Rotting/fermenting fruits
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Methanol (methyl alcohol) is also called wood alcohol and is used in many household products. Products include:

  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Gasoline additives
  • Canned heating fuels such as Sterno
  • Household solvents such as paint removers
  • Isopropanol (isopropyl alcohol) is best known as rubbing alcohol. It is more potent than the other two types of alcohol. Besides rubbing alcohol, it is used in:

  • Detergents
  • Antifreeze
  • Nail polish remover
  • Alcohol-based external flea sprays and grooming agents
  • Glass/window cleaners
  • Perfumes and colognes
  • What do you do if your furry friend gets into your stash?

  • Luckily pot is not poisonous for dogs and is considered only moderately toxic (depending on how much was consumed).
  • My local vet, Dr. Ted, says, “In all my years, I have never seen a dog die from eating marijuana.”
  • So what do you do?

  • If you catch them quickly enough, induce vomiting immediately. You can do that by using hydrogen peroxide and good ole table salt (1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of dog), repeating every 15 to 20 minutes until it’s all out.
  • Did they eat a little? Then they will just be high and maybe hallucinate for a few hours. Ride it out.
  • Did they eat a lot? You should go to the vet immediately, because your dog may need care, an IV or hospitalization, since seizures are a real possibility
  • Remember: If your pot is an edible, it is more concentrated and thus more dangerous. Plus, humans can eat just one brownie, while the dog will eat the whole tray since they are hardwired to gorge themselves.

    Best move: The minute you bring an edible or even a joint into the house, put it somewhere the dog can never get it. Experts suggest placing anything with an intense smell, like marijuana, in a glass jar and closing it tight. Aluminum foil also works to hide the odor and keep your dog from seeking it out. Or place it somewhere cold, like the freezer. That too will mask the odor and keep your dog from being curious.

    : Karen Cox/Sheknows

    How do you get alcohol out of your system quickly?

    You make every effort to protect your pet from foods and substances that aren’t good for him, but once in a while your precious angel gets into something that can be bad for him.

    We’ve talked about human foods that are toxic for dogs, but what about the unmentionables like marijuana, liquor or prescription medications?

    This may come as a shock to you, but there are people out there who have marijuana (smokable and edibles) around their house. Other folks have booze or beer that might have been left unattended at a party or isn’t behind a padlock like your parents used to do (is that just me?). And then there are those people who may have a few Xanax or other prescription drugs lying around. It may not be a problem for you, but it is a problem for your dog. Just how big a problem and what you can do about it can mean the difference between life and death for your dog.

    We asked Dr. Marty Becker, “America’s Vet” from Dr. Oz and GMA, to help us out.

    Dr. Becker says, “People waste too much time when dealing with accidental drug ingestions before getting expert veterinary advice. This is not the time to get on Google. It’s the time to call an expert. That’s why I advise all pet owners to keep their veterinarian’s and the Pet Poison Helpline’s numbers handy!”