Is it OK for dogs to eat pine cones? Here’s the Answer

What Should I Do If My Dog Eats A Pine Cone?

Dogs love to eat things they shouldn’t. Many times, they will vomit the offending contents up or pass it in their feces. However, this doesn’t always happen, and that’s when things can become dangerous.

The foreign object, such as a pine cone or pieces of it, can get lodged in a dog’s stomach or intestines and not move. Swallowing a pine cone can become deadly. Never induce vomiting without your veterinarian’s guidance and recommendation. Things can get lodged in the esophagus or throat coming up.

Depending on the pine cone size or pieces, your dog may undergo procedures such as an endoscopy (a long camera with a device to remove the pine cone) or surgery if endoscopy is not possible.

During any procedure, the veterinarian may try to move the pine cone back to the stomach and remove it without cutting into the stomach itself. If the pine cone is stuck in the intestines, your vet may choose to perform an enterotomy to access it.

However, if the pine cone causes severe damage to the intestines, a more advanced resection, and anastomosis may be required. If your dog has intestinal surgery, there are anesthetic risks and the risk of the surgical site leaking.

Keeping your dog away from pine cones and not allowing him to chew or swallow them is the best course of action. No one wants to put their dog through any of these procedures, which are often necessary to save their life.

Is it OK for dogs to eat pine cones?

Are Pinecones Toxic to Dogs?

Pinecones aren’t toxic or poisonous to dogs, which is a good thing, but that doesn’t mean they should eat them or chew on them.

You see:

The pinecones themselves might not be toxic, but pinecones definitely can be bad for our furry friends in their own way.

Why Is My Dog Obsessed With Pinecones?

So when they came across pinecones, they usually tend to want to play with them, chew on them, or eat them.

It could be the scent of the pine sap that attracts them to it – that makes them think, hmmm.. “this would be a good snack,” or maybe they think it would make a great toy. Remember what I said above – dogs are curious and find almost everything interesting. It’s in their blood lol…Video by

Can Dogs Eat Pine Cones

Pine cones are bad for puppies to eat. While they arent toxic, eating them can cause problems such as intestinal blockages and vomiting. Safer alternatives for chewing exist and care should be taken to avoid pine cones.

The ASPCA classifies pine trees as toxic to dogs and cats, leading to symptoms such as vomiting and depression. This usually relates to pine needles or sap, which may be attached to the pine cone your puppy is trying to eat. Pine cones can also cause intestinal blockages because they are hard and aren’t easily digested. The sharp points may perforate your puppy’s intestines. In addition, anything your puppy eats that isnt formulated for him may make him very sick and lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

Elizabeth Muirhead is a practicing veterinarian with an undergraduate degree in biological sciences. She has real-world experience with the husbandry, grooming, training and feeding a variety of household pets.