Doctor, Doctor! If the packing peanuts your dog ate prove to be the non-dissolving plastic kind, call your vet or the ASPCA animal poison control center immediately. … Your dog may get regurgitate the peanuts on his own; if he does not, you’ll want your vet’s approval before you induce vomiting.
Styrofoam and packing peanuts are toxic to dogs and your doggo needs immediate medical attention if he’s managed to swallow some of this packing plastic.
Because they are made from a petroleum-based material, many people assume they must be toxic for humans and animals. In actuality, the material itself is not toxic. However, since they do not degrade, large chunks can cause intestinal blockage, choking, diarrhea and other serious health problems.
Is Styrofoam Toxic For Dogs?
The short answer is that most Styrofoam doesn’t contain chemicals that are outright toxic to dogs. But that doesn’t mean it’s not dangerous. The outcome will largely depend on how much was eaten, and your pup’s weight. Some dogs may pass Styrofoam with no concern, but others may not respond the same way.
Styrofoam was originally a trademarked name for a type of insulation used in construction. It’s now commonly used to describe products made of the same type of plastic called polystyrene. Polystyrene or Styrofoam plastic products include packing peanuts, takeaway coffee cups, meat trays, bean bag beads, packaging, food containers, and the filling of some soft toys.
While the chemicals in Styrofoam products may cause mild irritation to the mouth and gut, it is otherwise unlikely to have any major toxic effects. The real danger is that they cannot be digested. This means it carries a risk of causing a blockage in your dog’s gut (intestinal obstruction). It is also a potential choking hazard.
A small amount of polystyrene is usually not a cause for concern. Especially if chewed up into small pieces or eaten by a large breed dog. These pieces may simply pass through the gut with no major concerns. However, it’s always best to seek professional veterinary advice if your dog ingested Styrofoam.
Why Is Styrofoam So Bad For Dogs?
Since styrofoam is pretty much everywhere, then you might be wondering what the big deal is. Especially if it’s just a small piece that your pupper ate.
But here’s the thing – styrofoam isn’s something harmless because it is a type of plastic.
And guess what? Dogs can’t digest plastics.
Plus, if the styrofoam or packing peanut is large enough, it can block your dogs throat and become a choking hazard.
As you can see, this stuff is definitely bad news for dogs everywhere.
Can you put packing peanuts in planters?
It is not recommended to use Styrofoam peanuts for potted plants now, because they may break down in water and soil, leaving you with sunken in containers. … If pieces begin to dissolve in the water, do not use them in the bottom of pots.
Are packing peanuts digestible?
Are packing peanuts toxic to animals?
Are dissolving packing peanuts poisonous to dogs?