My Dog Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

It is widely known that chocolate is toxic to dogs. The culprit is a chemical called Theobromine which acts like the drug “speed” in humans. It is a very strong stimulant that speeds up the heart, and if enough is ingested it can be fatal. Chocolate also has caffeine, which is also harmful, but not as much as theobromine.

What happens if a dog eats a chocolate chip cookie?

My Dog Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies: What Should I Do?

It is important to contact your vet as soon as you realize your pet has eaten chocolate. The sooner the treatment is started the better the outcome for your dog.Here is a step by step guide of what to do if you find yourself in this situation:

Are Some Cookies Worse Than Others?

Yes, depending on the type of chocolate used in the cookies. Dogs aren’t allergic to chocolate itself, per se, but two chemical compounds that are present in cocoa beans: caffeine and theobromine.

As such, milk chocolate, which is more cream and sugar than actual chocolate, will have much less of an impact than dark chocolate, which features a much higher cocoa content. Essentially, the darker the chocolate, the stronger the toxic effects on your dog.

As soon as you realize your dog has eaten chocolate, ensure that they do not eat any more.

Keep hold of packaging where possible, as the weight of the product and the cocoa content (usually stated on the pack) may help your vet calculate whether a toxic dose has been consumed. The ingredient list on the packaging may also alert the vet to other toxic ingredients such as raisins or macadamia nuts. Remember that chocolate cookies with added chocolate chips will have more cocoa than a plain cookie with chocolate chips – so keep an eye out for that.

They will need to know the weight of your dog, the type of chocolate, any other ingredients in the cookie, and the amount consumed. You should also let them know if any packaging is missing. Your vet will then calculate the likelihood of toxic effects and make a recommendation. If a low dose has been consumed, then it may not be necessary to provide treatment. However, if a significant dose has been consumed then your vet may recommend a visit to the vet clinic.


How long after eating chocolate will a dog get sick?

What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chocolate. If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice. Note that if your vet is not open, some services provide live chat and video options to connect you with a vet.

Will my dog be okay if he ate one chocolate chip?

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning will usually show within six to 12 hours, but could appear within one hour. If you know your dog has eaten chocolate, act immediately and don’t wait for the signs to appear. We always recommend seeking veterinary advice if you have any concerns about the health of your pets.

Will a chocolate cookie hurt my dog?

This small amount of chocolate should not cause any toxic effects in your dog (only 2 to 3 chips). If your dog has a very sensitive GI tract she could have some stomach upset (i.e. diarrhea) but it is unlikely with that few chips being ingested.