My Dog Ate Silly Putty

Silly Putty can be harmful to dogs in some cases. Although it is non-toxic, it can obstruct the digestive tract, which requires medical attention, notes experts at PetPlace.

Silly Putty and other Crayola art supplies are designed to be non-toxic to humans and animals. Crayola tests the product for toxicology, according to Crayola’s official website. Although it is non-toxic, Silly Putty may cause diarrhea or vomiting in dogs, but does not have any effects related to toxicity. However, because it can get stick in the stomach or intestines, owners should always call a vet if their dog ingests Silly Putty.

Play-Doh, modeling clay, chalk, Elmer’s glue and markers are also non-toxic to dogs. However, modeling craft supplies and caps on markers and paints can also get stuck in the stomach or digestive tract.

If Silly Putty gets stuck in dog hair, there is no need to fret. It is not toxic if the dog licks it and it can be removed. To get Silly Putty out of hair, pull as much of it out as possible. Try to hold the fur in place so that less fur comes out with the putty. If any putty remains, work some non-toxic oil into the fur. This helps work the fur away from the putty. ADVERTISEMENT

What will happen if a dog eats silly putty?

What is Silly Putty?

Silly Putty is a product that’s been around since about 1943 when it was created by accident. It was invented by James Wright, who was an engineer in General Electric’s New Haven lab. He was working on a government project that was supposed to find an inexpensive substitute for synthetic rubber during WWII.

Did you know this fun putty was first marketed to adults? It’s hard to believe! However, a smart unemployed copywriter named Peter Hodgson saw the potential for this putty to become a kid’s toy. From there, the product was marketed to kids, and it’s been a hit ever since!

Silly Putty comes in a plastic egg—the reason is that when the product first came out for kids, it was Easter time. So, they figured why not put the putty into an egg! Today, Silly Putty still comes in a plastic egg.

The putty can do so many things! It can be made into a bouncing ball, used as a pencil grip to help kids learn how to write, it’s fun to stretch it out and smash it back together, and it can lift comics from the newspaper! It can do so much more, too!

When it comes to ingredients, you’ll be happy to hear that Silly Putty is a non-toxic product. It’s made from:

  • Silicone polymers
  • Other chemicals
  • Boric acid
  • Powdered fillers (clay and calcium carbonate)
  • While Silly Putty is safe and non-toxic for humans, is it safe for dogs? What happens if your dog eats Silly Putty?

    Is silly putty safe for dogs?

    Silly putty is made of vinyl polymer, which is non-toxic but can cause gastrointestinal problems if eaten. It can also cause obstruction in the dog’s digestive system, leading to serious health problems.

    In some cases, surgery may be required to remove the obstruction. So if you have a dog, make sure to keep any toys or objects that could be harmful to them out of reach.

    And Before giving any type of dog toy to your puppy, it is important to do your research to make sure it is safe.

    Silly putty may be safe for dogs, but there are plenty of other toys that are specifically designed for dogs and are much safer.

    If you have any doubts about whether or not a toy is safe for your dog, consult with your veterinarian.

    Why Would My Dog Eat Silly Putty?

    As you may know, dogs are curious animals. They would consume everything that they could get into their reach, even silly putty. Silly putty can be shaped into various forms and is commonly used by humans to reduce stress and anxiety. But, due to its vibrant colors and different shapes, it seems like a unique toy or a treat to your dog that he can not get his eyes off from it.

    There are many toys that your dog should not interact with, and silly putty is one of them. You might not know what damage it may cause to your beloved pet. We have some suggestions that could help to keep your pup from consuming silly putty. Keep this type of stuff away from your dog’s reach, like on the highest shelf of your kitchen or in a hidden drawer in your living room.

    You can also try to distance your pet when your kids are playing by keeping them in separate rooms. What’s more, you can provide your pet with dog-safe toys that won’t become a serious choking hazard when consumed and are non-toxic to your pet. That way, your dog will be distracted by his new toy and will not attempt to consume anything that he isn’t supposed to.


    Is Silly Putty digestible?

    We have ensured that our products are safe since 1903, when we first began offering crayons. All Crayola and Silly Putty products have been evaluated by an independent toxicologist and found to contain no known toxic substances in sufficient quantities to be harmful to the human body, even if ingested or inhaled.

    Is Silly String toxic to dogs?

    Is Silly String Toxic To Dogs? The short answer is yes. According to Dr. Kara, a dog veterinary for over 20 years, although the ingredients are a trade secret, we do know that the product contains isopropyl alcohol and tetrafluoromethane both of which are gastrointestinal and mucous membrane irritants.

    What happens if a dog eats foam rubber?

    The one thing you should know about any material derived from plastic is that dogs cannot digest it. It doesn’t matter if a dog consumes a small amount of Styrofoam, a large quantity, or secretly eats Styrofoam regularly. The sad truth is that a dog’s liver and kidneys cannot digest and process Styrofoam at all.