My Dog Swallowed A Small Lego

There is certainly no danger of any ingested pieces being worn down even by a canine’s strongly acidic digestive system! Instead, plastic materials- whether that be LEGOs or other objects such as pacifiers– will simply pass through a dog’s digestive tract in the majority of cases.

Gastrointestinal blockage

Big pieces of Lego are more likely to get stuck in the gastrointestinal tract (stomach, large intestines, small intestines), however, even a small piece might cause trouble.

The blockage usually prevents your dog from eating and pooping regularly or even at all.

As contradicting as it sounds, constipation and diarrhea are among the most common symptoms of blockage.

Constipation means the obstruction is complete, while diarrhea means that only liquids manage to pass through the intestines.

Lack of appetite, bloating and vomiting are also recurring symptoms when your dog has a gastrointestinal blockage.

Sometimes a blockage eventually solves itself, but given that this problem can cause dehydration and weakness in your dog, it would be wise to get your pet medically checked instead of waiting for symptoms to get better or worse.

Choking hazard

Big pieces of Lego can cause suffocation upon ingestion, which is often fatal for dogs as it leaves little to no time for proper intervention.

This happens more frequently with puppies and small dogs, but some pieces of Lego can be a choking hazard for big dogs as well.

The texture and shape of Lego bricks make it especially hard for them to pass through the esophagus without getting stuck or scraping the internal walls.

If your dog has trouble breathing, you can try opening their mouth and check if you can see the piece of Lego.

Be sure to restrain your dog before you touch them because a panicking dog can become aggressive. However, do not muzzle them.

In the case of suffocation, you can try the Heimlich Maneuver as an emergency measure.

Will my dog poop out plastic?

Many dogs will pass the plastic normally without suffering any harm. Even if your dog suffers serious complications after eating the plastic, your vet will likely be able to address the issue and give your dog a good chance at a full recovery.


How long does it take for a dog to poop out a toy?

When something is ingested by your dog, it usually takes between 10-24 hours to move through the entire digestive tract.

Will dog poop out small toy?

Many objects small enough to pass through the digestive system may be eliminated with the feces and cause no problems (however do not risk this with coins or batteries).

What happens if a dog swallows a small toy?

If you know your dog swallowed an object, call your veterinarian immediately and take your dog to the vet’s office as soon as possible. The doctor may be able to induce vomiting or retrieve the object from the stomach before serious problems set in.

How long does it take for a dog to pass something they swallowed?

It generally takes ingesta (all that is swallowed) from 10-24 hours to move through the entire digestive tract. Some objects, however, can actually remain in the stomach for longer periods of time, even months.