What artificial sweeteners are bad for dogs? Let’s Explore

Aspartame (blue packet)

There are no serious health effects aside from minor gastrointestinal problems. That being said, it is in no way a healthy product for dogs to consume.

Xylitol is found naturally and is commonly extracted from birch or corncobs to be used as a sweetener in commercial products like gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. Although well tolerated in humans, the sugar substitute xylitol can be poisonous to dogs.

Store items with xylitol where pets cant reach them. Examples include some foods, chewing gum, and toothpaste.

A 4-year-old male dog was evaluated at a veterinary emergency clinic for sudden onset of lethargy. Approximately 1 to 2 hours earlier, the dog had eaten 4 large frosted muffins sweetened with xylitol. The dog was extremely lethargic on examination. His blood glucose level was very low. The dog was given intravenous (IV) dextrose and IV fluids. Two hours later, his blood glucose remained dangerously low and he was given additional IV dextrose. His blood glucose briefly improved but five hours after ingesting the xylitol, fell again. The dog began vomiting. The day after the ingestion, the dogs blood glucose remained very low and he was again given IV dextrose. He was transferred to a specialty veterinary clinic. He was bleeding from the nose, mouth and bowel. His blood cell counts and blood clotting studies were abnormal and he was treated with transfusions. The dog became progressively more lethargic and had a seizure. On the 3rd day after the xylitol ingestion, the dogs condition worsened. His heart rate was extremely elevated, he developed a temperature of 106 degrees Fahrenheit and he had trouble breathing. His blood pressure plummeted. He then vomited a large amount of blood. Because of the dogs rapidly deteriorating condition, his owner permitted euthanasia. Autopsy findings were consistent with ingestion of an agent toxic to the liver. Widespread hemorrhage was seen in the kidneys, stomach, small intestine, pancreas, heart muscle and lymph nodes.

When swallowed by canines, xylitol absorption is rapid. Vomiting can be seen in only 30 minutes, but full symptoms can be delayed for up to 12 hours. In dogs xylitol stimulates insulin secretion and can lead to profoundly low blood sugar; this causes weakness and loss of coordination. If left untreated, dogs may eventually develop seizures or collapse. With large ingestions xylitol has also been linked to liver failure in dogs.

In humans, xylitol is slowly absorbed and causes little insulin release. It contains fewer calories than sugar and has the added benefit of preventing oral bacteria and cavities. In people who swallow large quantities, though, xylitol causes mild adverse effects including diarrhea or flatulence.


This naturally produced sweetener is found in many “sugar-free” items such as ice cream, candies, pastries, gums, yogurts, juices and more. Xylitol is HIGHLY TOXIC and potentially fatal if consumed. Even in small doses, it can cause seizures, liver failure, and death.

Artificial sweetener Xylitol Can be dangerous for dogs

These days, artificial sweeteners are frequently in meals. You may be unaware of just how popular these are in foods and drinks. These artificial sweeteners are widely in lower-calorie foods since they often provide the same sweet flavor without the high-calorie content. Artificial sweeteners are even sweeter than regular sugar, so you can use less of them than a natural sugar additive.

These artificial sweeteners could harm our canine friends because they are present in many foods we keep in our homes. Even though it’s never advisable to feed your dog a diet containing artificial sweeteners, mistakes can occur. Dogs can get their paws on things around the house that are not for them.

Knowing which ingredients can hurt your dog is crucial. We will go over some of the popular artificial sweeteners in the market today and explain how they work. You’ll also learn about the side effects or risks associated if there are any notable ones. It’s always vital to know what to do if your pet eats something bad, which will be covered in this post. Let’s get to it!