Symptoms of Fertilizer Poisoning in Dogs
The first symptom of fertilizer toxicity you’re likely to see in your dog is gastric upset. Vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and nausea are all early symptoms of a problem. For the more toxic fertilizers, or in the case of large ingestions, you may also see abdominal pain, stiff walking, weakness, or seizures. If your dog has abnormal-colored gums, seizures, or difficulty breathing, you should take them to a vet as soon as possible.
If you think your dog or cat was exposed to fertilizer, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline for treatment recommendations.
Most fertilizers contain varying amounts of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (potash) as indicated by the three numbers on the packaging (i.e., 30-10-10). They may also contain iron, copper, zinc, cobalt, boron, manganese and molybdenum, some of which may be toxic in large concentrations. Additionally, fertilizers may also contain herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides which increases the risk of poisoning. While small ingestions of fertilizer may only result in mild stomach upset, larger ingestions can result in severe poisoning from the iron, nitrogen and other chemicals. Large ingestions of meal-based fertilizers may also form a concretion in the stomach resulting in a bowel obstruction or severe and painful inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
Will Scotts Turf Builder hurt my dog?
Scotts Turf Builder Weed and Feed 3 is safe for pets when it is used according to the product label. … Once the treated areas dry completely, chewing or eating grass will not be harmful and your pet can resume normal activity within the area.
After grass dries, apply fertilizer. Then lightly water again. This second watering is vitally important, because it washes fertilizer off grass blades and into soil. You can also time fertilizer application between rainfalls to let rain wash fertilizer into soil.
Fertilizers and Pesticides Poisoning in Dogs – Symptoms & Causes
Along with vomiting and breathing difficulties, fertilizers can cause ulceration in the gastrointestinal tract and burns on the skin. If you suspect that your dog has eaten fertilizer, or if you have recently used the product in your garden and your dog is acting ill, take them to see a veterinarian right away.