Symptoms of a Snake Bite On a Dog
Dogs may react to a snake bite right away, or it may take up to 24 hours for symptoms to appear. Common symptoms of a snake bite on a dog include:
Different dogs may have different reactions to a snake bite depending on where they bitten and what type of snake bit them. A veterinarian can help determine which treatment options can help.
Treatment for Snake Bites on Dogs
The veterinarian will begin by giving your dog a physical exam and determine if and where your pet was bitten. The type of treatment provided to your dog will vary depending on the circumstances.Â
Some of the most common treatments for snake bites on dogs include:
Can a dog survive a snake bite? About 80% of dogs can survive a snake bite if itâs treated right away. If left untreated, dogs are less likely to recover.Â
How much venom has been injected
It is a common myth that juvenile snakes can inject more venom than an adult snake due to not being able to control the amount of venom it releases. Similarly, an adult snake might not release a large amount of venom just because of its size. Therefore, it is impossible to know how much venom has been injected into the snake’s victim.
One of the highest recorded venom amounts at the Animal Emergency Service was 3600ug/ml compared to that of 200ug/ml recorded in humans. The only way to determine the exact venom load is to send a blood sample to a laboratory for assessment which isn’t practical considering the immediate need for treatment. Instead, your vet will perform tests to assess whether venom is present and the type of snake and dog’s response will determine the amount of anti venom required.