Will a mouse hurt my dog? Expert Advice

Rodenticides Found In Poisoned Mice

Will a mouse hurt my dog?

There are a few types of common rodenticide poisons which are commonly used in mouse traps. The anti-coagulant type will stop blood from clotting and can cause internal bleeding. Some poisons are a highly concentrated form of Vitamin D which will deplete the calcium stores of the bones and lead to kidney failure. Another type called “Bromethalin” targets the nervous system causing neurologic damage and rapid death.

It can take up to 6 days for a rodent to die from poisoning. This gives sprightly mouse-seeking dogs plenty of chances to capture their prey. If you suspect that your pup has eaten a poisoned mouse, try to pin down the exact type of toxin that was involved.

Let your veterinarian know which rodenticide you suspect when you bring your dog in to see them. With this information on hand, the veterinary team will know which parameters to monitor more closely during their assessment and what emergency treatments to have close to hand.

Potential Dangers of Rodenticides and Alternatives

In some cases, rodenticides are used to control rodents, such as mice. Veterinarians at the University of California Davis Division of Agriculture and Resources explain that, “dogs can be affected by rodenticides two ways: by eating the poisoned bait or by eating an animal that was poisoned.” Instead of rodenticides, mouse traps can be placed strategically around your home in areas not accessed by pets. Mice can also be excluded from your home by sealing potential points of entry.For proper protection, it’s always recommended to contact a wildlife professional to help determine the best solution for your home.

To help get rid of mice infestations on your property, schedule an appointment with Terminix®. Our trained technicians are well-educated on species of mice, as well as methods for exclusion and control. Upon visiting your home, technicians can assess potential issues, help determine how to best eliminate infestations and create a customized removal and prevention plan.

Can dogs get sick from being around mice?How is it spread? Leptospirosis is caused by Leptospira bacteria that rodents and other animals can transmit to animals and humans. Dogs can become infected by direct contact (for instance, from a rat bite or from eating rats) or via indirect contact (for instance, by drinking urine-contaminated water).

  • Caulk potential entry points.
  • Keep food sealed and inaccessible to rodents.
  • Store trash in well-sealed, airtight garbage cans.
  • Use repellents. Essential oils. …
  • Use aluminum foil.
  • Maintain your garden to keep mice away.
  • Invest in ultrasonic devices.
  • Dont count on your cat.
  • The mice are back! (How to get rid of mice when you have a dog)

    The current recommendation is for all dog owners in inner Sydney and the inner west to have their dog vaccinated at their local vet. The specific suburbs where leptospirosis has been reported are Surry Hills, Glebe and Darlinghurst. Call your vet for advice as some dogs should not be vaccinated.