How Paraffin Candles Are Harmful
Paraffin is a byproduct of refined crude oil. If you burn paraffin candles regularly, you’ve probably noticed black sooty gunk building up near where the candle burns, and that is a byproduct of combustion. It may not be healthy for dogs or people!
When dyes and fragrances are added to paraffin candles, this only adds to the problem of safety. Most dyes and fragrances used in candles are manufactured in a laboratory. When these items heat up and burn along with the paraffin wax, any animal or person nearby is breathing in these unnatural ingredients, potentially putting their health at risk.
There is a lot of debate as to the safety of paraffin candles and scented air products in general. It is not clear if burning candles produces enough of the concerning chemicals to cause harm but it is probably safer to avoid them.
Signs of Respiratory Problems in Dogs
It isn’t always easy to know if your dog is suffering from a respiratory problem. If you see any of these symptoms in your dog, he may have a respiratory issue:
There are several causes of respiratory problems in dogs ranging from allergies, and kennel cough to more serious issues like pneumonia and canine distemper virus. To play it safe, contact your vet if you even suspect that your four-legged friend is suffering from some type of respiratory issue. Your vet may ask you to bring your dog in for an exam and testing.
The toxic particles from the candles can get into your dog’s stomach and internal organs very easily. Your dog’s liver cannot metabolize the toxins found in these candles.
Common symptoms include throwing up, dizziness, stomach upset. If the chemicals get into your dog’s body in high amounts, your dog may get severely sick. Contact a veterinarian immediately if your dog shows unusual behavior.
What candles are toxic to dogs?
In addition to the harm caused by the burning of candles and the release of artificial chemicals into the air, the delicious smells can entice dogs to nibble on candles, wax, or ingest oils. Ingestion of most candles will generally lead to nothing more than an upset stomach and diarrhea.