Are oak trees poisonous to dogs? A Step-by-Step Guide

If you live in an area where acorns are a common occurrence, teach your dog “leave it” and “drop it” commands which are helpful in any situation. Also consider bringing your own healthy dog treats or toys on walks to help keep your dogs focus away from the acorns. If the acorns are in your own back yard, make sure to rake leaves and acorns regularly.

With acorns and oak leaves covering the ground this time of year, many people do not think much of letting their dogs pick up a leaf or acorn, but the fact is that acorns and oak leaves are both toxic to dogs.

Oak trees are very common and most people don’t have problems, but they are not the trees of choice to have in a backyard full of pets. Since there are a variety of oak trees, leaves and acorns can come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Familiarize yourself with the trees in your area to identify them appropriately and ensure your dog steers clear.

Why are Boxwood trees poisonous to pets?

Surprisingly, the ubiquitous oak tree can present a danger to pets if they ingest the acorns from the tree.

Pecans: Pecans are toxic for dogs. They contain aflatoxin, which can cause illness and sometimes death. When pecans drop to the ground and become moldy, they can cause seizures. They also have extremely hard shells that lead to choking and blockages.

The dog may require medication to control vomiting, diarrhea, and pain. The veterinarian may also collect blood samples to evaluate the dog’s kidney and liver function.

Pistachios: Pistachios, even when shelled, are a size and shape that is easy for a dog to choke on. However, they aren’t toxic.

AKC is a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to If you purchase a product through this article, we may receive a portion of the sale.

Acorns are nuts from oak trees containing tannins that are harmful to dogs. When dogs eat them, they may suffer severe stomach upset, kidney failure, and sometimes even death. “If you think your dog has eaten acorns, it’s best to call your veterinarian right away because delaying treatment can lead to permanent damage,” says Dr. Jerry Klein, AKC chief veterinary officer.

Are oak tree leaves poisonous to dogs?

Yes, many people are surprised to hear that those beautiful, shady oak trees in the backyard that everyone, including the dog, loves to stretch out under can be a potential danger for their dog.

According to the ASPCA website, as well as Dr. Jon Geller, veterinarian with, acorns contain gallotannin which, depending on the amount eaten, can cause gastrointestinal upsets in pets and other animals, with symptoms such as cramps, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, sometimes bloody diarrhea, and kidney failure. A few dogs may have seizures. Acorns swallowed whole have the potential to block the intestines, while chewed acorns release more toxin and the sharp pieces can irritate the gastrointestinal tract.Advertisement

The hard outer shell of an acorn contains the most gallotannin while green acorns contain more gallotannin than brown acorns. Small amounts may cause only mild illness but in severe cases, dogs have died of kidney failure from eating acorns. Dr. Geller even mentions that oak buds, bark, leaves, and drinking water that oak leaves have soaked in can cause illness in dogs.

Oak trees are the icon of strength and beauty and form a comfortable shade during hot summer but when leaves and acorns begin to fall, dog owners may be wise to keep an eye on the dog. Not all dogs will eat them but the little round objects can look an awful lot like a toy or something fun to play with. Dogs dont always know what is and is not good for them. Teething puppies, especially, have a tendency to investigate and taste everything. Some dog owners report that symptoms can show up quickly after ingestion or be delayed for several days.Advertisement

Outside drinking water should be kept in a place where leaves can not fall into it and should be cleaned and changed every day. Good luck.

I was raking the oak leaves up & there was a white mold growing under the leafs. My dog was exposed to this & got very sick. He had tremors & was unable to walk for 24 hours. The next day he was fine.

The little balls on an oak tree if the dogs chew on them. R they poison-is to them

It would be wise to just keep your pups inside if you have oak trees outside. Though acorns arent fatal if ingested in small quantities, their tiny stomachs might not be able to take the toxins in acorn.Advertisement