This plant contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals similar to other plants in the Araceae family. Chewing or biting into this plant will release these crystals causing tissue penetration and irritation the mouth and GI tract. VERY rarely, swelling of the upper airway occurs making it difficult to breathe. See Oxalates (Insoluble) for more information.
The peace lily does NOT cause acute kidney failure in cats when ingested. It is different from more dangerous types of lilies that can cause kidney failure (e.g., Easter, daylily, Asiatic, Japanese show, and Tiger lilies).
Pretty, But Peace Lily is Poisonous to Dogs
Peace lilies have a very distinctive look with their large showy white spathes, which surround a spadix in the middle, and their shiny green leaves. These herbaceous perennials can quickly become the focal point of your garden because they range in height from about a foot all the way up to a towering 6 feet, depending on the species.
The Missouri botanical Gardens website notes that these beauties dont survive well in temperatures cooler than 40 degrees Fahrenheit or in direct sunlight, making them popular plants to grow indoors where the climate is more temperate. Unfortunately, this means that your pooch may have easier access to these poisonous plants while hanging out in your home.
Jade plant (also known as baby jade, dwarf rubber plant, jade tree, Chinese rubber plant, Japanese rubber plant, and friendship tree) is toxic to cats and dogs. The toxic property in this plant is unknown, but ingestion of it can cause vomiting, depression, ataxia (incoordination), and bradycardia (slow heart rate; this is rare).
Cyclamen (also known as sowbread) is a pretty, flowering plant that is toxic to dogs and cats. If ingested, this plant can cause increased salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea. If an animal ingests a large amount of the plant’s tubers — which are found at the root, generally below the soil — heart rhythm abnormalities, seizures, and even death can occur.
Heartleaf philodendron (also known as horsehead philodendron, cordatum, fiddle-leaf, panda plant, split-leaf philodendron, fruit salad plant, red emerald, red princess, and saddle leaf) is a common, easy-to-grow houseplant that is toxic to dogs and cats. This philodendron contains a chemical that can irritate the mouth, tongue, and lips of animals. An affected pet may also experience increased salivation, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
Elephant ear (also known as caladium, taro, pai, ape, cape, via, via sori, and malanga) contains a chemical similar to the one in dieffenbachia, so an animal’s toxic reaction to elephant ear is similar: oral irritation, increased salivation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
Dieffenbachia (commonly known as dumb cane, tropic snow, and exotica) is toxic to dogs and cats. Dieffenbachia contains a chemical that is a poisonous deterrent to animals. If this plant is ingested, oral irritation can occur, especially on the tongue and lips. This irritation can lead to increased salivation, difficulty swallowing, and vomiting.
Not So Peaceful for Fido’s Mouth, Tummy and Skin
The peace lily is somewhat poisonous to dogs. If your dog has eaten any part of your peace lily plant, the pup will likely experience some drooling, pain in the mouth and a lack of appetite, according to the Pet Poison Helpline. Your dog may also paw at its mouth because its in pain, experience diarrhea and begin to vomit due to an upset tummy.
The reason for all of this is that peace lilies contain chemicals called calcium oxalates, which are released and become embedded in a dogs tissues when it chews on the plants. The same thing happens if Fido roughhouses around the peace lilies, bruising them and getting the oxalates in its skin, leading to dermatitis, according to the University of California, Davis.
While peace lilies are less poisonous to dogs than some other types of lilies that dont belong to the Spathiphyllum genus, if Fido eats them, youll need to head to the vet. Ingesting a large amount of plant material containing calcium oxalates can cause an inflammatory reaction that is bad enough to affect your dogs ability to breathe and swallow, warns the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Visit the vet if you notice that Fido has eaten any part of your peace lilies and is exhibiting even minor symptoms, like swelling of its mouth or tongue. Hell give your dog medication and supportive care to help alleviate Fidos symptoms.
What happens if my dog eats a peace lily?
How poisonous are peace lilies?