Are peanuts OK for dogs? Find Out Here

How Many Peanuts Can Dogs Eat?

Even healthy treats like peanuts and peanut butter should only make up 10% of your dog’s diet. The other 90% should come from a well-balanced dog food diet. Here are some general guidelines for safe portion sizes.

Keep in mind that with any diet change or addition, it’s always best to consult your veterinarian about the proper portions for your individual dog’s diet.

  • 1-2 peanuts
  • ¼ tablespoon of peanut butter twice a day
  • Small dog (21-30 lbs.) Examples: Basenjis, Beagles, Miniature Australian Shepherds

  • 2-3 peanuts
  • ½ tablespoon of peanut butter twice a day
  • 5-6 peanuts
  • ¾ tablespoon of peanut butter twice a day
  • Handful of peanuts
  • 1 tablespoon of peanut butter twice a day
  • Large handful of peanuts
  • 1 ½-2 tablespoons of peanut butter twice a day
  • What Types of Dogs Should Avoid Peanuts?

    Some dogs with underlying health conditions should avoid eating peanuts altogether, including:

  • Dogs with kidney issues. Peanut butter usually contains a lot of sodium or salt, which may worsen your dogs kidney problems.
  • Dogs on specific diets. Some dogs are on strict, vet-recommended diets. So if your dog is on a special diet, its better not to give them peanut butter.
  • Dogs with increased weight. Peanut butter is high in fats, so it isnt good for overweight dogs.Â
  • Can Dogs Eat Peanut Butter Snacks That Are for Humans?

    The same caution must be used if you are considering sharing your peanut butter snack with your pup—such as peanut butter crackers, peanut butter pretzels, or peanut butter and jelly.

    Again, all of that delicious salt and sugar could harm your dog over time, causing weight gain and perhaps leading to diabetes, arthritis, and even heart disease. Jelly contains a bunch of sugar, and some may contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs.

    It’s not wise to feed your dog unhealthy foods when they also love dog-safe, healthy fruits and veggies as well.

    Can Dogs Eat Nuts? Can Dogs Eat Peanuts?