Can a dog get sick from eating toothpaste? The Ultimate Guide

Causes of Toothpaste Poisoning in Dogs

The difference in the toxicity of xylitol between the human species and the canine species is quite remarkable. A human can ingest up to 130g/day of the sweetener with the effect of diarrhea at most, and no other abnormalities. If a dog consumes >0.1 gram/kg of xylitol, acute hypoglycemia can occur in less than half an hour. In canines, xylitol is almost completely absorbed into the blood extremely rapidly and this results in a sudden drop in glucose levels. Further, severe complications can occur. The death of liver tissue leading to complete liver failure can result, which is thought to be caused by elevated liver enzymes and the fact that the xylitol depletes adenosine triphosphate, which is necessary for normal cellular function.

What Should I Do If My Dog Has Eaten Toothpaste?

  • Prevent any further toothpaste from being eaten. It is important to ensure that if your dog is still eating or trying to eat further toothpaste or objects, you prevent this from happening by shutting them away and cleaning up the offending items!
  • It is useful to note the information listed below. Knowing these facts will help you and your veterinarian make the best treatment decision moving forwards.
  • What has your dog eaten? Toothpaste alone or the tube or cap or box?
  • How much toothpaste has your dog eaten? What is the total size of the tube?
  • When did your dog eat it (roughly)?
  • What ingredients does the toothpaste contain? If you have the packaging or the tube with this information, try and save it.
  • Contact your veterinarian. It is vital to get veterinary advice as soon as possible to ensure the best outcome for your dog. If your vet isn’t open, call the Pet Poison Helpline or the nearest open veterinary clinic, which may be an emergency service.
  • Follow your veterinarian’s advice. This may be to come down to the clinic for an assessment and treatment, or your veterinarian may be happy to monitor the situation at home under close supervision.
  • Is Human Toothpaste Safe for Dogs?

    It’s fine to share blankets, tuna fish, and your innermost thoughts with your dog, but you gotta draw the line at sharing your toothpaste, especially if your toothpaste contains xylitol.

    Xylitol, a natural sugar alcohol found in plants, is perfectly safe for humans, but for pets, it’s extremely toxic because it stimulates a potent release of insulin.

    Dogs that eat more than 0.1 g. of xylitol are at risk for hypoglycemia and dogs that eat more than 0.5 g. can develop acute liver failure. And it’s not just toothpaste you have to make sure your dogs don’t get into. Many chewable vitamins, dietary supplements, OTC meds and snack foods have xylitol.

    Can you get sick from eating toothpaste?

    When I brought home my dog for the first time, I didn’t realize that they would eat almost anything. This included my toothpaste! I was terrified of what would happen, so I did some research and found out.

    The answer has to do with xylitol. While xylitol is considered safe for people, it can cause life-threatening hypoglycemia in dogs. Hypoglycemia can develop in a matter of minutes, and if dogs eat a large quantity of toothpaste, this can lead to the death of liver cells, causing liver failure.

    The good news is that there are treatment options available. If you keep reading, you’ll learn the symptoms of toothpaste poisoning in dogs, how it is diagnosed, and how it is treated.