Can Dogs Eat Chapstick

Its difficult to watch your puppy every minute. Dogs chew and sometimes they chew things they shouldnt, including your Chapstick or lip balm. Is Chapstick bad for dogs? It can be. If a dog ingests anything other than food, theres cause for concern. If your dog ate Chapstick or lip balm, be prepared to call your veterinarian immediately if you notice any symptoms such as repeated vomiting, lose of appetite, and change in behavior.

Yes, ingestion of lip balm can be serious. First, youll need to investigate to determine if your dog simply ate the Chapstick or lip balm specifically, or if he also ingested the plastic packaging and/or the tube it came in. If your dog ate small quantities of plastic from the lip balm tube, then that might not be serious and should come out when he goes to the bathroom. He might also throw it up.

However, if your dog is a toy or small breed, you should contact your veterinarian as soon as you suspect your dog ingested any packing or part of the tube. Small dogs are more vulnerable to obstruction.

If any sized dog ate more than one lip balm with the plastic, then he can become ill and youll need to take him into the vet for treatment. Signs of illness include vomiting repeatedly, loses of appetite, or not acting normally. Note that if your dog cant even hold down water, thats an immediate cause for concern.

If your dog swallows the entire plastic tube, airway blockage — known as choking — is an immediate risk. Choking requires first aid, and quick medical intervention by a vet if possible. If they swallow the plastic tube and it passes through the throat, it could get lodged in your dogs intestines, which can lead to intestinal blockage. This is dangerous too because it prevents other things from moving through his body.

If your pet seems in distress and will allow you to look in his mouth, you might see the tube at the back of his throat. You can attempt to remove the tube immediately using tweezers or your hand. But exercise caution: attempting to remove the blockage can potentially move it further in your dogs throat which may cause more problems. The lip balms plastic tube also has the potential to get lodged in your dogs intestines, which can prevent other things from moving through his body.

Xylitol. This is an artificial sweetener commonly used in Chapsticks and lip balms. Xylitol can be very harmful to dogs as it can cause their sugar levels to drop dangerously low. This can lead to vomiting, drowsiness and seizures.

Are ChapSticks dangerous to dogs?

There is no short answer here, as there are such a huge number of different types of lip balm and on the market. Unfortunately, most ChapSticks and lip balms are very appealing to dogs – especially if they’re flavoured! There are two main concerns when your dog eats a ChapStick. One is the plastic or tin container that the lip balm comes in. The other is that ingredients in the lip balm can cause problems for your dog.

If your dog eats the whole tube lip balm, then there is a risk that the packaging could get stuck in their stomach or intestines. This is more of a risk with larger packaging (for example Vaseline tins or some of the plastic EOS ChapSticks) or if multiple tubes are eaten. When a dog eats an indigestible object, it is known as a ‘foreign body’ and can block its insides, causing serious damage or worse. You can read more about dogs eating plastic here

There are several ingredients commonly found in ChapSticks that can be dangerous to dogs. Examples include Xylitol, camphor, sunscreen, essential oils, and phenol. Toxicity depends on the amount ingested – and partly on your pet. Thankfully, in most cases, eating a tiny amount of these ingredients from a ChapStick won’t cause any problems. However, age, liver function, and kidney health can all influence the severity of a reaction. Plus, some doggies just react badly to tiny amounts whereas others don’t react at all!

Petroleum (found in Vaseline) is usually relatively harmless. However, beware of other ingredients in the flavored varieties! You should always seek advice from your veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline if your dog has eaten something they shouldn’t have, regardless of the amount eaten.

What will happen if my dog eats a ChapStick?

If your dog has eaten a whole container of lip balm, they may show signs relating to a foreign body. These include sickness (with or without blood), loss of appetite, lethargy and either diarrhea or lack of stools.

The most common symptoms of swallowed poisons are sickness, diarrhea, agitation, and heart problems. Symptoms would vary depending on the ingredients. We’ll go through some of the common ingredients here:

  • Xylitol: This commonly used sweetener causes low blood sugar in dogs and if enough is eaten can cause liver failure. Typically, symptoms start very quickly after eating. These include vomiting, drowsiness, weakness, collapse, and seizures. You should call your vet immediately if your chosen brand of ChapStick contains Xylitol.
  • Essential oils: Commonly used essential oils include peppermint and tea tree. These can cause drooling, sickness, sleepiness, and difficulty breathing, although usually only if taken in higher amounts.
  • Sunscreen: ChapSticks often contain added sunscreen, great for your lips but not for your furry friend! In small quantities it doesn’t normally cause a problem, but can lead to diarrhea and bloody vomit.
  • Phenol: This compound tends to cause local irritation, with drooling and reluctance to eat most commonly seen.
  • Camphor (for example in Carmex): Can lead to your dog being sick, feeling nauseated, having diarrhea, and being lethargic.
  • Diagnosis of Chapstick Poisoning in Dogs

    If your pet eats lip balm and shows any of the symptoms outlined above, take them to the vet. The vet will examine your dog to assess them for signs of toxicity. If your dog has consumed toxic ingredients, blood tests and/or urinalysis will often be required to check your dog’s overall health.

    It will also help if you can provide your vet with details of the ingredients in the lip balm your dog ingested (take along the packaging if you have it) and the amount they consumed.


    Can dogs get sick from eating EOS chapstick?

    EOS’s un-medicated chapsticks contain limonene and linalool, both of which are poisonous to dogs.

    Is lipstick toxic to dogs?

    It’s important to note that most cosmetics are not toxic.

    Fortunately, he managed to throw it up. This may not be the case for other dogs though. Beauty blenders, or makeup sponges, can clog the gastrointestinal tract and cause major health issues for your dog, even if they’re swallowed in pieces.