Can fireworks cause a dog to have diarrhea? Expert Advice

Keep your dog safe indoors during fireworks.

This tip is key. A scared dog is way more likely to run off, even if he or she is typically your shadow. Dogs can also be injured by fireworks or sparklers if their curiosity leads them too close to the action.

Keep your dog indoors during fireworks and make sure he or she is wearing a collar with proper identification. Ideally, stay at home with your dog during the fireworks displays.

If you’re having visitors, inform them that it is critical for your dog to stay inside, accounted for, and in a safe place. You may also want to explain to guests that your dog may be frightened and needs some extra space. Have all household members be very cautious opening doors to prevent your canine companion from slipping out unnoticed.

Can excitement cause diarrhea in dogs?

Excitement Can Cause an Upset Stomach Well, your dog is likely to be thrilled at the prospect of seeing you and returning home, and sometimes this can cause him to develop inflammation in his gut that then trigger diarrhea.

If your dog has moderate to severe anxiety, speak with your vet about prescription anti-anxiety medications.

If your dog has moderate to severe anxiety or even a firework phobia, speak with your veterinarian about prescription anxiety medication. Many safe, effective medication options are available.

A bit of a veterinary soapbox: Please make an effort to discuss these options with your veterinarian well in advance of “fireworks holidays” like July 4th and New Year’s Eve. Veterinary staffs often find themselves scrambling to fill prescription requests fast enough on July 3! I also sometimes recommend giving “test doses” of new anxiety medications on a non-stressful evening to monitor for any unwanted side effects.

It’s important to note that you should never treat your dog with your own medications!

Diarrhea in Dogs: How To Quickly Treat At Home

Fireworks are dangerous to pets in several ways. First, the loud noise of fireworks (during July 4th holidays) can result in severe stress, fear, and anxiety. Secondly, when unused fireworks are ingested, they are poisonous to pets. Fireworks contain hazardous chemicals such as potassium nitrate, which is an oxidizing agent. They can also contain charcoal or sulfur and coloring agents, which are potentially dangerous heavy metals. When ingested, pets can develop gastrointestinal issues like vomiting, a painful abdomen, and bloody diarrhea. The severity of pet health issues resulting from ingestion will depend on the type of fireworks and the amount that was ingested. Pets ingesting large amounts can suffer tremors or seizures, along with acute kidney failure, bone marrow changes, shallow breathing and jaundice, which is yellowing of the skin.

Also, exposure to lit fireworks can result in burns to the nose, face, lips, or inside of the mouth, as well as eye irritation and conjunctivitis. When in doubt, never let pets near fireworks – unlit or lit!