Can you give calpol to a dog? Essential Tips

Can I Give My Dog Calpol?

[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner][vc_column_inner width=”1/2″][vc_single_ =”5171″ img_size=”full”][/vc_column_inner][/vc_row_inner][vc_column_text]Whilst paracetamol, when administered in the correct dose, is not harmful to dogs one should always seek veterinary advise before giving any medication to a dog.

Calpol is formulated for humans and as we all know humans, even the small ones, are generally larger than dogs. It can be easy to give a dose that would be toxic. Calpol contains 125mg of paracetamol per 5ml. Although there are no exact studies it is considered that as little as 150mg per kg can be extremely toxic for our furry friends.

It’s always better to be safe than sorry so our advice would be that if you are looking for some pain relief for your best friend then take him to the vet. They can advise what’s best and if it is a paracetamol based medicine they can advise on the exact dose.

What happens if my dog has too much Calpol?

Paracetamol poisoning can cause abnormalities in the red blood cells as well as kidney and/or liver damage. In most cases, kidney and liver damage is not reversible. Ingestion of large doses of paracetamol can also cause coma or death. Early symptoms to look our for are laboured breathing, swollen face or neck, swelling of the limbs, brownish-grey gums, hypothermia, jaundice and vomiting. If in doubt talk to your vet!

What should I Do If My Cat or Dog Ingests Paracetamol When They Weren’t Supposed To?

Unfortunately cats and dogs both love to eat things they shouldn’t. If you suspect your pet may have consumed Calpol, take them to a vets to get them checked over. If possible take the Calpol bottle with you, to show the vet so they can get a better understanding of the dosage strength and levels of Calpol consumed.

If your dog is a larger bread and only a small amount of Calpol has been consumed your dog is likely to be perfectly fine without medical attention. It’s your choice whether to head to the vets and if you choose not to keep a close eye on your dog and its behaviour. If you sense a change in it’s wellbeing head to the vets as soon as possible.

If it is not possible to get to a vets quickly then find something which can digest the toxins quickly. Typically the best and most readily available items are forms of clay, argiletz green clay or bentonite clay or straight kaolin to be precise. These clays are usually ingredients in face masks and other such products. They are good at absorbing, so making your cat or dog eat some of these clays means that the Calpol will be absorbed by the clay and not your pet. Lowering the levels digested into the body, hopefully preventing paracetamol poisoning.

What Can I Give My Dog For Pain – Ask the Expert | Dr David Randall

Can I give my dog Calpol? Infant suspensions, such as Calpol, contain paracetamol. While paracetamol is occasionally used in dogs, it was formulated for humans so can be dangerous. This is particularly the case if taken in large doses.