Cyanide Poisoning In Dogs Timeline

There are many toxins, plants, chemicals, or food that can be poisonous to your dog. Common causes of poisoning in dogs can be found in your bathroom cabinet, in the backyard, in spoiled food scarfed on a walk, and human food that’s stolen off the counter or dropped from the kitchen table.

No matter what the toxin is or where it came from, heres what you need to know to notice potential signs of poisoning and take quick steps to help your dog survive.

Beyond a mangled plant, empty bottle, or missing food, there are many clinical signs that could indicate your dog has eaten a toxic food, chemical, poisonous plant, or spoiled dog food. The following is not a complete list but gives you a general idea of common signs to look for if you suspect your dog has been poisoned, and things your veterinarian can find with proper testing and a complete physical exam.

A dog eating a toxic plant is a common reason for pet owners to call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centers hotline, according to Tina Wismer, DVM, MS, DABVT, DABT and senior director of the center. The situation can be extremely urgent, depending on the plant.

“Most common signs include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and seizures,” Wismer says. “In severe cases, ingestion of poisonous plants can lead to liver failure, kidney failure, and cardiovascular problems.

Clinical Findings of Cyanide Poisoning in Animals. Acute cyanide poisoning: Signs generally occur within 15–20 minutes to a few hours after animals consume toxic forage, and survival after onset of clinical signs is rarely >2 hours. Excitement can be displayed initially, accompanied by rapid respiration rate.

What to Do if Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If you know your dog has eaten something poisonous, heres what to do:

  • Make sure your dog is breathing, alert, and behaving normally.
  • Keep your dog and everyone else away from the source of the poisoning. Note what was eaten and keep any labels of information about the product or object. That will help medical professionals make the right decision for treatment.
  • If the poison is in the dogs fur, wash the dog thoroughly, if you can do so safely.
  • Dont use any at-home remedies or antidotes. And dont try to make your dog vomit before you talk to a veterinarian. Vomiting may be the right approach, but it might also be dangerous based on what your dog ingested and whats happening in the dogs body.
  • Make an immediate call to your veterinarian or a phone hotline to help with pet poisoning, like Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661, or ASPCA Animal Poison Control at 888-426-4435. Remember, hotlines like these do charge for their services, so a consultation fee may apply.
  • If your dog needs medical help, call your veterinarian or the nearest emergency veterinary clinic as soon as possible. The sooner you get help for a dog poisoning, the better the chances your dog can recover from poisoning.
  • Treatment, whether at home under a veterinarians orders or in a veterinary hospital, will be specific to the poison. Your veterinarian may recommend that you induce vomiting in your dog in some situations, but not in others. Once in the hospital, your veterinarian may give your dog intravenous fluid, flush your dogs stomach, give your dog activated charcoal to absorb the toxin, or perform surgery. Supportive medications may help your dogs kidneys and liver process the poison and heal.

    The ASPCA Poison Control estimates that 25 percent of poisoned pets recover within two hours. Even with treatment, one in 100 poisoned pets will die.

    What home remedy can I give my dog for poisoning?

    A professional may ask you to induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. For this reason, you should try to always keep an unopened, non-expired bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your home (old hydrogen peroxide will not usually work). You will give the hydrogen peroxide to your dog by mouth.

    Cyanide poisoning is a treatable condition, and it can be cured if detected quickly and treatment is started immediately. Most people die because the diagnosis is not made quickly enough, or it is not considered from the start. Cyanide poisoning is rare, so the treating physician should be alerted of the possibility.

    Can dogs recover from being poisoned?

    About 25% of poisoned pets recover within two hours. Of the pets that take longer to recover, many can be treated at home with the advice of your veterinarian or with advice from the ASPCA Poison Control Center (telephone 1-888-426-4435). Even with treatment, one in 100 poisoned pets dies.


    What are the signs of cyanide poisoning in dogs?

    Drooling, watery eyes, vomiting, and voiding of urine and feces may occur. Muscle spasms are common. Mucous membranes are bright red at first but then become a bluish color. Death usually occurs in 30 to 45 minutes during severe convulsions.

    Can a dog survive cyanide?

    In order to be released, dogs must either chew the pit or ingest broken pits. Cyanide toxicity can be deadly in only a few minutes. If only a small amount is consumed, signs of cyanide toxicity include salivation, rapid or difficulty breathing, and even convulsions and paralysis.

    How long does it take for a dog to show signs of poisoning?

    Some toxins cause reactions right away, while others cause symptoms several hours or days later. For instance, the first symptoms of antifreeze poisoning can appear in as little as 30 minutes, whereas the symptoms of chocolate poisoning take between 6 and 12 hours to show up.

    How do you treat cyanide in dogs at home?

    Inhalation of Nitrates

    Amyl nitrate and sodium nitrate are effective antidotes of cyanide poisoning. Many times this is one of the first actions the veterinarian takes when a dog is brought in after ingesting cherries or other toxic fruit seeds.