Do dogs have to quarantine in Korea? Let’s Explore

Pet travel from the U.S. to Korea

– – A L E R T – –

Rabies vaccines and tests

Rabies vaccines must be current and given prior to arrival in Korea. Rabies vaccine is not required for pets under 90 days old.

A rabies-neutralization antibody test (0.5 IU/ml or higher) must be completed*. A rabies-neutralization test is not required for pets under 90 days old.


The pet(s) must have an ISO-compliant microchip*

Health Certificate

The pet(s) must be accompanied by a valid health certificate issued by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian and endorsed by USDA.

* If the rabies neutralization antibody test and/or the microchip implantation could not be done prior to shipping (or the test is more than 24 months of departure), they can be done after arrival in Korea.

However, even in this case, a valid USDA endorsed health certificate is required. Animals that have not been microchipped and/or had a rabies-neutralization antibody test performed will likely be held in quarantine at the owner’s expense until any procedures or lab tests have been completed. Please contact South Korea using the link below for confirmation and additional information.

For military personnel traveling under official orders, you can find additional information at:

Pet ferrets originating from Hawaii or Guam are not required to have rabies vaccinations or rabies titer tests prior to travel, as they are considered by Korea to be regions free from rabies.

All other U.S. origin ferrets are required to be current on their rabies vaccinations and have a rabies titer test taken more than 3 months, but less than 12 months, prior to travel. Titer test must be conducted at approved laboratories.

* This health certificate may only be used for personal pet birds that are traveling with an owner/agent.

* If the bird is intended for commercial purposes upon arrival OR is traveling via cargo, you must use the commercial pet bird health certificate found here

For pet travel requirements not listed, APHIS has not been officially informed by the foreign country about the requirements for your pet’s travel. We recommended that you contact a government official of the country you are traveling to for more information.

Country of destination contact information:

Airlines and shipping lines have their own policies and requirements for transporting pets. Check with your airline or shipping representative to determine what requirements they may have.

Cats imported from Australia and cats and dogs imported from Malaysia require an additional certificate confirming that the animal has been kept in an area free of Hendra and Nipah viruses, or that the animal produced a negative result in a Hendra and Nipah virus test. Without such a certificate, the quarantine period will be extended by 21 days. 7.

When you arrive at the international airport, you must go to the NVRQS(National Veterinary Research & Quarantine Service) office with your pet and its certificate for the purpose of quarantine procedure. Your pet will be released into your custody the same day provided that you submit the required Veterinary Certificate and upon inspection your pet is found to be healthy.

To the best of our ability, we ensure that recommendations given on reflect the current regulations. We cannot predict how a given country may enforce these regulations. Noncompliance may result in the need to make arrangements to put your pet into quarantine at your expense, return your pet to the country of origin, or euthanize your pet. We suggest that you minimize the disruptions that may occur by following the rules of the country you are visiting.

An accredited veterinarian must complete a Korea Health Certificate stating that your pet is healthy and free of parasites and indicating the above vaccinations and the results of the titer test (if applicable). If your pet is traveling from the United States or Canada, then USDA (US) or CFIA (Canada) State Veterinarian endorsement is required. If you are traveling from another country, then the Governing Authority of your country responsible for the import and export of animals must endorse the forms.

Invertebrates, tropical fish, reptiles, amphibia, mammals such as rodents and rabbits are not subject to requirements of rabies vaccination, but may have to meet other requirements and should have a health certificate to enter Korea. Pet owners are strongly advised to seek further information from the relevant authority of their country and/or that of the country of destination. 13.

Air Animal knows and understands the language and sequencing of South Koreas rules, regulations, and protocol including:

“No quarantine for pets entering South Korea.” Sounds fantastic! Yet there are a myriad of details to attend to before the dog, the cat, or the ferret are ready to leave the USA for their flight to South Korea.

We work with families relocating for a military Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the Armed Forces, contract employment with the Department of Defense and corporate transferees. Air Animals experienced South Korea pet move specialists are eager and able to assist you. Pet moving made easy®. Our focus. Our passion. Our Promise.

The Republic of Koreas Ministry of Agricultures protocol and procedure allows for dogs, cats and ferrets older than ninety (90) days to enter Korea quarantine-free as long as the Rabies antibody test was performed within 24 months prior to entry.

Pet dogs and cats entering from Australia require a certificate showing the pet animal (dog, cat, ferret) is free from the Hendra & the Nipah virus. Without the certificate, a quarantine period of 21 days will be required.

How I brought my dog from the USA to SOUTH KOREA! | Step-by-Step, Supplies, Documents & More!