Dogs are not allowed to eat candy canes because they contain dangerous ingredients. Peppermint oil, for example, is a very strong flavor and dogs may be tempted by the smell of it. To avoid any problems with dogs eating candy canes as well as other foods that could make them sick or cause a stomachache, many people will give their dogs dog treats such as biscuits instead.
The cane or candy stick is made from sugar and corn syrup, which dogs can eat under supervision. However, the red stripes are created with a dye derived from petroleum called Red 40. This dye is linked to cancer in lab animals, so it’s important not to let your dog lick these off of their paws if they do happen to brush up against the outside as well.
Xylitol: One artificial sweetener that’s found in many brands of hard candies is xylitol – dogs should never ingest this ingredient because just one teaspoon can lead to toxic liver damage (in some cases even death). So while sugar might not be an issue for dogs’ digestive systems per see, those dogs with a more delicate constitution might not be able to handle xylitol.
The green coloring in candy canes is created from copper chlorophyllin, which dogs should never eat because it’s toxic for them too!
Citrus oils: These ingredients are often found in fruit flavors like orange and lemon – dogs shouldn’t have these either if they’re sensitive to the citric acid (which could lead to pancreatitis). Citral, which is found in lemongrass essential oil, can cause vomiting or diarrhea as well.
Can a dog get sick from eating a candy cane?
Can dogs get sick and die from eating candy canes? The answer is yes. A sugar-free, artificial sweetener called Xylitol can be found in peppermint candy canes, as well as other gums and even peanut butters. According to The Preventive Vet, Xylitol poisons over 6,000 dogs every year.
How much candy cane can kill a dog?
While it has been ruled as perfectly safe for human consumption, it’s an extremely strong insulin release stimulator in dogs. In fact, a tiny amount, just 0.1g/kg consumed by a dog causes a severely dangerous drop in blood sugar known as hypoglycemia.
Unfortunately, cases of Xylitol ingestion and poisoning in pets is on the increase as more and more products are being manufactured with artificial sweetener. Last year alone, the average number of calls to the ASPCA for Xylitol poisoning was 18 per DAY! That number doesn’t include calls to the Pet Poison Helpline, or direct calls to veterinarians either.Xylitol — The Sugar-Free Sweetener Thats Toxic to Your Dog
They say “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. If your friends and family interact with your pets be sure to ask them if they have any sugar-free or low-sugar products with them. Ensure they don’t share any baked treats with your dog and keep guest room doors closed if your pet is prone to snooping.
Mild hypoglycemia symptoms can show up as weakness and lack of coordination. These symptoms can appear in as little as 10 minutes following consumption or as late as up to 16 hours.Xylitol and Dogs, A Deadly Combination
If you suspect your dog ingested candy or gum containing Xylitol, immediately head to your veterinarian or emergency vet clinic. Symptoms can include:
If your pet ingests any amount of Xylitol, they will very likely require hospitalization where his or her blood sugar will be closely monitored for 12-24 hours, they will receive the administration of dextrose, iv fluids, liver protectants, and any additional supportive care that may be necessary depending on the amount consumed.
Does peppermint candy have xylitol?
How much xylitol is in a peppermint candy?