Dog Ate Adderall Xr

ADHD medications are stimulants, and when dogs ingest stimulants you can see an increase in activity—such as pacing, walking in circles or unable to sit still—heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature. In severe cases, these signs can become life-threatening.

If your dog is experiencing toxicity from ingesting adderall, he will need immediate medical care. Decontamination is ideal in cases of toxicity. If it has not been too long, the veterinarian will attempt to induce vomiting to expel the drugs from your dog’s stomach.

What is Allderall?

Adderall is a combination medication that’s prescribed for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). It’s a drug that’s become popular for treating this condition. The medication works to balance the brain chemicals responsible for ADHD.

It acts as a stimulate, which increasing dopamine in the central nervous system. This can lead to increased energy, better focus, and lower restlessness and fidgeting.

The ingredients in Adderall include:

While this medication is great for managing ADHD, what happens if your dog eats more than one pill?

Adderall & Dogs

You’ve probably guessed this is not a good combination, and you’re right. This medication will act as a stimulant, so your dog will be more active. Dogs are very sensitive to this medication; it can be very dangerous for them. This drug is toxic to dogs.

What Should You Do If Your Dog Eats Adderall?

The first thing you should do is remove the remaining pills and clean up those that fell on the floor.

It’s important to check both the dosage and the number of pills your dog may have eaten.

You will be asked questions such as:

  • How much does your dog weigh?
  • How many pills did they eat?
  • How many mg in each pill?
  • How long ago did they ingest the pills?
  • Are they acting weird or showing signs of discomfort?
  • In this case, it’s already been a while since your dog ingested Adderall when you find out what they did, and they’re showing symptoms of sickness, we recommend bringing your dog directly to the nearest animal hospital and bring with it you the medication they ate.

    Even if your dog seemingly only chewed on the bottle, make sure there aren’t any pills missing and call your veterinarian just in case.

    When your dog eats Adderall, they will need to be hospitalized for treatment until they’re out of danger.

    If treated in time, many dogs recover already after just 24 hours, however, each case of Adderall intoxication in dogs is unique.

    In the case it hasn’t been two hours since your dog swallowed Adderall, the veterinarian may suggest inducing vomiting in your dog at home to try and get the pills out as soon as possible.


    What should I do if my dog ate adderall?

    Remember to keep all ADHD medications out of paws’ reach, and if you believe your pet may have eaten an ADHD medication, please contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 immediately.

    Will adderall hurt a dog?

    Can pills kill a pet? Yes, there are pills that can kill pets even in very small doses. For example, a regular dose of ADD/ADHD medication like Adderall can cause life-threatening tremors, heart problems, and other adverse effects in pets.

    How do I know if my dog ate my adderall?

    Adderall falls within a group of drugs known as amphetamines. According to the PetPoisonHelpline website, ingestion of amphetamines in dogs can produce the following symptoms: agitation, aggression, panting, sedation, elevated heart rate, hypertension, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, and seizures.