Dog Ate Bed Foam

Your dog loves its bed, but for some reason, it’s decided to destroy it. You come home to find stuffing everywhere, with your dog attempting to look innocent.

In addition to frustration, you are also concerned. Did they eat the stuffing? Will it harm them? How worried should you be?

If you suspect or know that your pet has ingested some polyurethane foam, contact your vet immediately. Remove food for at least 6 hours. Remove water for at least 3 hours. If no signs develop, water and food can be reintroduced but close monitoring for vomiting must be carried out over the next 24 hours.

What if My Dog Eats Couch Foam?

If your fur baby eats a small piece of the foam, chances are he will be just fine. He may vomit and/or have diarrhea. You’ll want to monitor your dog for any concerning symptoms. Also, check your dog’s poop to see if the foam has come out. If you don’t see it in a day or so, then you should go ahead and call the vet.

On the other hand, if your dog eats a large amount of couch foam, then you’ll want to call the vet immediately. Your dog is in danger of developing an intestinal obstruction.

What is Couch Foam Made Of?

The foam in your couch is made with chemicals that can be very dangerous. The foam is called polyurethane and contains polyol, which is a type of alcohol. It also contains diisocyanate, which is a petroleum product. These products can be toxic if swallowed.

However, there’s another serious problem for dogs that ingest this foam. If the dog eats enough of the foam, there’s a chance he could develop an intestinal obstruction. This is because the foam can become compacted in the digestive tract, and then cause a blockage. This is a very serious medical condition.

Why is Memory Foam Dangerous For Dogs to Ingest?

Many dog beds advertise being made with a memory foam material, which is supposed to be more comfortable and help dogs with joint pains.

There are a variety of different materials that can be used to make memory foam mattresses. The most popular component is polyurethane; it accounts for most memory foam mattresses, especially the cheaper ones.

It is made with highly reactive components and is a known carcinogen. Consuming polyurethane can cause skin problems and organ damage.

Memory foam is inherently flammable, so most mattresses are treated with fire-retardant chemicals prior to distribution. These chemicals can become neurotoxins if ingested.

Memory foam mattresses also have the potential of containing dust mites, allergens, and bacteria. These can all harm your dog if they ingest too much.

To top it off, memory foam can be a choking hazard or potentially cause an internal blockage if your dog swallows too much.

There are more organic products on the market now more than ever. Organic dog beds are rising in popularity because owners are more aware of the negative side effects of having toxic materials readily available around their pets.

If you are worried about your dog eating their memory foam mattress, consider dog beds made of cotton, recycled plastics, or natural latex compounds.

It is never great when your dog eats something they shouldn’t, but if your dog has a habit of chewing things, make it a point to limit the potentially harmful objects they have access to.


Is memory foam safe for dogs?

If you suspect that your dog has eaten stuffing, the best thing to do is visit your vet immediately. They will be able to tell you what the best treatment is and assess whether your dog might pass the stuffing.