Gardens and yards provide a great way to be creative and add beauty to your home. Plus, gardening is a wonderful way to relax and even grow your own food! But what many pet parents forget is that certain chemicals and fertilizers can be dangerous to dogs, including bone meal. Dogs being the curious fur babies they are, may try to eat bone meal. But what happens if a dog eats bone meal?
Has your dog eaten bone meal? Are you worried the bone meal will make him sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your dog eats something like this.
We’ve put together some information about bone meal and whether it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!
Diagnosis of Bone Meal and Blood Meal Fertilizers Poisoning in Dogs
If you see that your dog has eaten a large amount of bone meal or blood meal, take him to the veterinary clinic without delay. You may see that he has the evidence in the form of the meal powder on his face and fur. Even if your pet is not showing signs of illness, a veterinary visit is recommended to verify if your dog is free of possible related complications.
As the veterinarian does a physical examination (heart rate, respiratory rate, temperature, abdominal palpation), he may ask the following questions.
The history that you are able to provide along with physical signs will help the veterinarian make a decision as to the course of action. The veterinary team may do a urinalysis and take blood samples (complete blood count and serum chemistry) to check for pancreatitis and iron toxicity. An abdominal x-ray may show if an obstruction is forming due to the bone meal hardening within the gastrointestinal tract or stomach, and can also point to irritation or enlargement of the pancreas. If the pancreas shows signs of a problem and further imaging is needed, then your veterinarian may order an ultrasound.
What is Bone Meal and Blood Meal Fertilizers Poisoning?
Having a beautiful garden during growing season is a hobby that many pet owners enjoy. Being aware of the hazards that natural substance meals and other fertilizers can present is an important part of pet ownership. Dogs and cats are curious creatures by nature, and in addition to this trait, canines find bone meal and blood meal to be very palatable. Bone meal is made from ground up animal bones while blood meal is flash-frozen blood that is ground up as well, both intended to be easily mixed with soil in the garden. Bone meal and blood meal poisoning can occur when your pet eats a large amount of the product by breaking into a bag stored within their reach. The main dangers from bone meal are intestinal obstruction and pancreatitis, while blood meal can often contain iron which can prove to be toxic in large doses.
Bone meal and blood meal are considered organic fertilizers, used in the garden as a supplement to enhance the growth of plants. Incidents of ingestion of these fertilizers in large amounts directly from the bag are common due to the palatability of the fertilizers to dogs.Youtube Play
Bone Meal and Blood Meal Fertilizers Poisoning Average Cost
From 45 quotes ranging from $300 – $4,000
Bone Meal & Dogs
Unfortunately, bone meal can be toxic to dogs. Dogs are attracted to the smell of bone meal—it smells like food to them. Dogs want to eat it, of course. If a dog smells bone meal in the soil, he may dig in the soil and eat a lot of it.
Another problem is a bag of bone meal left where a dog may find it. They may find the bag closed in the garage and break into the bag, eating a lot of the material.
Large amounts of bone meal can cause pancreatitis or an intestinal obstruction. These conditions can both be life-threatening if not treated quickly. In addition, bone meal may also be moldy and cause mold toxicity if eaten.
What happens if my dog eats bone meal?
Is bone meal OK for dogs?
Is bone meal toxic?
How much bone meal should I give my dog?