Dog Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

My dog ate a chocolate chip cookie – now what? This guide will answer your common questions quickly so you can make the best decision for your pet.

The biggest question on your mind is likely whether or not you need to rush to the vet.

Unfortunately, there’s no cut-and-dry answer because it’s dependent upon your dog’s weight and the amount of chocolate they consumed.

The statistics are in your favor, as long as you properly assess the situation, and take action as soon as possible.

Why Chocolate is Bad for Your Dog – Theobromine Toxicity in Dogs

Dog Ate Chocolate Chip Cookies

Chocolate contains theobromine – a substance that is toxic to dogs.

If you want to know more about dangers for your dog check out 5 Surprising Christmas Dangers for Dogs.

Why Is Chocolate So Dangerous To Dogs?

As you probably know, chocolate is derived from cocoa beans. As a defense mechanism, the cocoa plant naturally produces the chemical compounds caffeine and theobromine. While humans aren’t harmed by these compounds, and even stand to benefit from them in some cases, they’re extremely toxic to just about every pet you can think of.

Symptoms of chocolate poisoning:

In extreme cases, your dog could have seizures, tremors, and ultimately, heart failure.

Your dog will not develop these symptoms from a single chocolate chip, but at some point, symptoms will start to show up. It can take hours for symptoms to emerge and they can last for days.

If your dog starts showing symptoms, you should contact your veterinarian. Tell the vet what kind of chocolate was eaten, how much, and the weight of your dog. Your veterinarian can decide then whether the dog needs to be seen.


Can a dog survive eating a chocolate chip cookie?

No. The main ingredients in chocolate chip cookies are not good for dogs, including chocolate, wheat flour, and sugar. In particular, chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains methylxanthines like caffeine and theobromine, which dogs cannot break down like we can.

What should I do if my dog eats a chocolate cookie?

Most cases of chocolate ingestion are not fatal, and in most instances, a dog that ate a chocolate chip cookie will do just fine, especially if caught early enough. If there has been a delay in providing treatment, it may be necessary to administer activated charcoal to your dog once they have stopped vomiting.

Will a chocolate cookie hurt my dog?

Call your vet with the type and amount of chocolate your pet has consumed or check with the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-764-7661. What is this? If the dose is small, your vet may have you simply monitor your dog.