Dog Ate Diaper Rash Cream

Has your dog eaten Desitin? Are you worried the Desitin will make your dog sick? If so, you’ve come to the right place. We know it can be scary when your dog eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at Desitin and whether or not it can make a dog sick. Let’s get started!

Diaper rash creams can also cause harm to our furry friends when ingested. Many of these products contain zinc oxide as an ingredient to soothe and dry the skin of babies, but if a pet were to ingest creams that contain this ingredient, it could cause illness.

Diagnosis of Zinc Oxide Topical Poisoning in Dogs

Zinc oxide toxicities can be quite difficult to diagnose, this is why it is highly helpful for the veterinarian if you suspect or have witnessed your dog ingesting a cream containing zinc oxide or a penny or other metal object that contains a high amount of zinc. If your dog has self-vomited, or if the veterinarian induced vomiting, there will be evidence of the ointment in the substance.

Your veterinarian will depend on the dog’s clinical signs and any information you can give him in terms of the ingestion of this compound or mineral. In addition to observing the clinical signs of toxicity, the veterinarian will do a complete physical examination, which includes blood testing to check for anemia and the zinc level in the blood. Any liver or kidney damage can also be tested with bloodwork and a biochemistry profile.

A urinalysis will communicate to the veterinarian any red blood cell pigmentation, which may be a sign for higher levels of zinc. The urinalysis will also allow the veterinarian to check for any kidney or liver damage. If you highly suspect or are sure that your dog ingested an object, the veterinarian may do an x-ray to determine if the dog has swallowed a metal object or pieces of the tube that contained the cream.

My Dog Ate a Tube of Zinc Oxide

Whether the zinc oxide your dog ingested is toxic or not will depend on several factors such as the amount ingested, the concentration, the size of the dog and clinical signs developed.

Obviously, the more the dog ingests the more likely the chances for serious problems. Concentrations of zinc oxide vary by products . For instance, the average diaper cream may contain anywhere between 10 percent and 40 percent zinc oxide, while sunscreen may contain anywhere between 1 and 25 percent.

Generally, licking just a bit of sunscreen off of a childs face (like less than a spoonful) is less concerning than a dog eating a whole tube of diaper cream, points out veterinarian Dr. B. Also, if the puppy or dog managed to ingest the tube along with the zinc oxide then another sign to watch for are signs of a bowel obstruction.

Size also matters, it takes less product to create problems in a small dog weighing just a few pounds, versus a large dog weighing many pounds. Whats the toxic dose of zinc oxide in dogs? According to veterinarian Dr. Matt, the toxic dose of zinc oxide in dogs is 45 mg per pound.

Signs of Trouble

Zinc oxide products are known for being very irritating to the dogs digestive tract. As a result, dogs who ingest it, end up having repeated bouts of white, frothy vomiting shortly after ingestion ( generally within four hours). This vomiting is actually a good thing as it helps the dogs body get rid of the substance and therefore self-decontaminates, which lowers the rate of absorption. Some dogs also develop diarrhea, on top of vomiting.

While just a single lick of zinc-containing product may just lead to digestive upset, more concerning is repeated exposure to zinc products (like a dog licking it every day) which can lead to systemic zinc toxicosis affecting the whole body and leading to hemolytic anemia and organ failure.

We can see an example of this from the Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine. A dog developed a rectal mass and after surgery, the owner repeatedly applied a zinc oxide cream to the area in hopes of letting the dog heal faster. The dog was readily licking it off and, by the fourth day, the dog became ill. It was estimated that the dog must have ingested about a 3/4 of pound dose of the 40 percent zinc oxide cream. The dog fortunately recovered after supportive care.

If youre wondering how long a dog can live with a bowel obstruction, most likely you are very worried about your canine companion. Veterinarian Dr. Ivana Crnec information about bowel obstructions in dogs.

Greyhounds are pretty unique dogs and even their bloodwork is special. Discover whats so special about a greyhounds bloodwork and how it impacts them.

What happens if a dog licks a toad will greatly depend on what type of toad was licked. In the USA, there are two toads to be aware of, which can cause life threatening symptoms.

See your vet if your dog ate a tube of zinc oxide

Causes of Zinc Oxide Topical Poisoning in Dogs

The precise cause of zinc oxide poisoning due to the ingestion of this compound is still being researched. Possible causes of zinc oxide poisoning in dogs may include:

  • Negatively affects the pancreas, liver, and kidneys
  • Negatively affects the red blood cells
  • Promotes oxidative damage
  • Inhibits red blood cell enzymes
  • FAQ

    What should I do if my dog ate diaper rash cream?

    Zinc depending on the amount ingested can be very toxic to dogs. My first recommendation would be to call pet poison helpline at 855-764-7661. They will be able to tell you based on the amount of ointment she potentially received if it is toxic and can make a treatment plan for your veterinarian.

    What happens if a dog eats zinc oxide?

    What are the signs of zinc poisoning? Zinc causes irritation of the gastrointestinal tract. Most pets with zinc poisoning will develop vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and lack of appetite. Zinc poisoning may cause a low red blood cell count (anemia) by damaging the red blood cells and causing them to break open.

    What happens if my dog eats ointment?

    In very severe cases you can see stomach perforation, anemia, clotting problems, liver or kidney failure, and coma. There is no antidote, so treatment involves supportive care. Dogs can metabolize and excrete salicylates pretty rapidly, but cats cannot, putting them at much greater risk of salicylate poisoning.

    Is Butt Paste harmful to dogs?

    A. Boudreaux’s Butt Paste is a diaper-rash ointment that contains zinc oxide. Our veterinary consultant confirmed that veterinarians sometimes recommend this type of ointment for a dog with a sore, raw nose like Buddy’s.