Hair Ties. … Your dog might be able to pass a hair tie or two through his digestive tract and have it wind up in his stool uneventfully, but if he eats several, it can be unpleasant. The elastic and rubber hair ties can get stuck in his gut and will result in vomiting, decreased appetite and painful abdomen.
Table of Contents:
Some dogs will eat just about anything. That doesnât mean, however, that they can or should. Dogs have resilient stomachs and digestive tracts, but their less-than-picky palates can easily get the better of them. Certain household objects could present a choking or poisoning risk and even result in intestinal blockages if swallowed.
Hair ties are hard to keep track of and easy for dogs to get a hold of. Does swallowing a hair tie mean your dog should take a trip to the emergency veterinarian? Not necessarily, but it should definitely get your attention.
Hair Ties Are a Choking Hazard
If your dog swallows a hair tie whole, it is likely they might choke on it. The hair tie can easily get stuck in their throat. If this is the case, it should be apparent right away. Your dog will violently gag and cough, just like a person choking on a piece of food.
The first thing you should do is try to remove the hair tie from their throat. However, it is extremely important you do this with lots of care and caution. Some dogs will bite their owners if they stick their hand in the dog’s mouth.
If you cannot remove the hair tie yourself, you must get your dog to a vet or emergency animal hospital as quickly as possible.
What to Do If Your Dog’s Swallowed a Hair Tie
The first thing is to remain calm and check your dog. Make sure he’s not choking and is breathing normally. Next, try to determine if your fur baby has eaten more than one hair tie. Then call the vet right away. They will give you advice on what to do next.