Dog Ate Hair Tie

Dogs are always searching, and they are like vacuum cleaners. They search, smell, sniff, and bite almost everything. In addition, dogs instinctively like to chew. Therefore, they put everything in their mouth and start chewing. This may lead to the unintentional swallowing of objects that they should not eat. In this article, we discuss, ” my dog ate a hair tie what should i do?”

The prognosis for dogs who have ingested hair ties and other foreign objects is generally good. Depending on where the object is lodged, your veterinarian may remove it via endoscopy or through a more invasive surgical procedure.

Hair Ties in Your Dog’s Digestive System

If your dog has completely swallowed the hair tie, there is no need to panic, but you should still remain vigilant and prepared for an emergency visit to the vet.

In most cases, especially if you have a large dog, the hair tie will pass through their bowels. Your dog’s body is incapable of digesting the tie, so it will simply pass through them.

However, there is also the possibility that the hair tie could get stuck in their intestine, creating a blockage. This is more likely to happen if you have a small dog, or if your dog has swallowed several hair ties at once.

If your dog has not passed the hair tie within a couple of days, it is likely stuck inside of them. If this is the case, vomiting and/or diarrhea are common symptoms.

If you think the hair tie is stuck inside your dog, it is imperative that you take them to a vet to have it removed. The vet will attempt to remove the hair tie using an endoscope – a tube that is inserted through your dog’s throat or rectum. If the vet cannot remove the tie with an endoscope, it will have to be surgically removed.

The Problem with Hair Ties

While hair ties may be fun for your fur baby to play with, they can be extremely dangerous if swallowed. The problem is that hair ties can become lodged in the intestines and cause a blockage. In some cases, dogs have been known to eat more than one hair tie before a problem developed.

In other cases, a hair tie can even become lodged in the throat and cause choking. This is another serious issue that could quickly lead to a medical emergency.

All it takes is one hair tie to case a life-threatening medical emergency.

Hair Ties Are a Choking Hazard

If your dog swallows a hair tie whole, it is likely they might choke on it. The hair tie can easily get stuck in their throat. If this is the case, it should be apparent right away. Your dog will violently gag and cough, just like a person choking on a piece of food.

The first thing you should do is try to remove the hair tie from their throat. However, it is extremely important you do this with lots of care and caution. Some dogs will bite their owners if they stick their hand in the dog’s mouth.

If you cannot remove the hair tie yourself, you must get your dog to a vet or emergency animal hospital as quickly as possible.


Do hair ties hurt dogs?

Pets can be seriously injured by rubber bands and hair ties. If you have small children, make sure you’re brushing or petting your entire pet every day.

Can a dog pass a hair scrunchie?

In most cases, your dog will either pass or vomit up a scrunchie. However, if your dog eats multiple scrunchies, because of their size and elasticity, your dog will likely not be able to pass them. Scrunchies can become entangled and end up creating a much larger blockage.

What should I do if my dog ate fabric?

A dog will go for a hair tie because to a dog they are fun to play with and also smell like their owner. Your dog might be able to pass a hair tie or two through his digestive tract and have it wind up in his stool uneventfully, but if he eats several, it can be unpleasant.