Dog Ate Ice Pack Beads

Has your dog eaten gel beads? Are you worried the gel beads will make your dog sick? If so, then you’ve come to the right place. We understand it can be scary when your canine companion eats something he shouldn’t.

In this article, we’ll take a look at gel beads and whether or not they can make your dog sick. Let’s get started! Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

Are gel packs toxic to dogs?

Q: Is it a threat to dogs? A: No true toxicity risk exists from exposure to silica gel packets. The beads do not enlarge in the stomach and the exterior packaging is usually soft and presents little risk of injury of obstruction.

A Note on Discontinued Ice Packs

Today’s ice packs rarely contain highly toxic ingredients. Ammonium nitrate is the most dangerous chemical found in ice packs today. However, ice packs that have been discontinued may contain diethylene glycol or ethylene glycol. Ethylene glycol is the ingredient in antifreeze, so you may have an idea how toxic it is.

If your dog ate an ice pack you bought years ago and forgot about it, you have a reason to be very concerned.

Initial signs of poisoning from these substances include lethargy, vomiting, low body temperature, seizures, and coma. Eventually, the dog will seem better, but they will be dehydrated. Their breathing and heart rate become elevated. The last stage is kidney dysfunction. The kidneys will cause a lot of pain, and they will not be able to urinate properly. This can lead to vomiting, seizures, coma, and death.

What are Gel Beads?

Gel beads are found in everything from medications to packets in shoe boxes and more. The beads are used to absorb moisture and keep food, medications, leather goods, and more from becoming moldy and wet.Advertisement

Silica gel is a desiccant, which means it absorbs moisture and lowers the humidity levels in containers. The gel keeps the environment from becoming too wet or humid, which could result in rust, mold, and even mildew.

Silica gel beads have no odor or taste, and they’re not toxic. This is the good news. While gel beads are non-toxic, what happens if a dog eats them? Will the gel beads make a dog sick?


Are ice pack beads toxic to dogs?

Ice packs in general, are not much of a concern. They generally contain cellulose ( starch ), urea ( not a concern in dogs ), & propylene glycol ( this is NOT antifreeze ). Since the package says it is nontoxic, then there is absolutely nothing you need to do or worry about.

What happens if a dog eats a bead?

The gel beads in ice packs are usually made of sodium polyacrylate, which can be irritating if swallowed. Some early reusable ice packs contained very toxic substances such as diethylene glycol or ethylene glycol (antifreeze). These types of ice packs have been recalled and are generally no longer available.

Are ice packs toxic?

While silica beads are inert and nontoxic, your pup may experience mild gastrointestinal upset after ingestion. The main complication is the packet, not the beads. The packet can cause intestinal blockage, especially in smaller dogs.