Dog Ate Ink Cartridge

Is printer ink toxic? Let’s be honest — when the topic of printer ink comes to mind, health and safety are probably low on the list of concerns.

The truth is, most ink and toner products are made with strict adherence to industry standards and safety guidelines. While most inks and toners are non-toxic, the contents vary by brand and product, so it pays to know what’s inside your printer ink and toner. It also pays to know how to get ink off your skin and clothes!

Print. HP cartridges and inks generally have a low level of oral toxicity. Ingestion of cartridge components and small amounts of inks should not result in significant health effects for your pet. Some staining and irritation of the mouth and throat tissues may be observed, but these effects should diminish over time.

What About Toner?

The laser printers used in most offices don’t use liquid ink. Rather, they are made with a fine powder called toner that they melt onto the paper.

Toner does contain compounds that are dangerous in large quantities. But toner is certainly considered safe in the quantities one is exposed to in an office.

In general, toner cartridges are also considered safe. But if they become damaged or broken, they can release toxins. The chemical called carbon black used when creating black toner is known to cause cancer. Some toners also contain small amounts of iron.

What if my dog eats sharp plastic?

Call your veterinary clinic as soon as possible if you think your dog has swallowed some of the plastic, even if they seem ok. Try and tell them how much your dog may have eaten, whether it was hard or sharp plastic, and whether it contained any harmful products.

Most of our clients, who use a regular inkjet printer, often ask us if they can use it for edible printing. … Both Canon and Epson, printer manufacturing giants, do also not suggest the use of edible inks instead of regular inks for you regular printers as regular colors are toxic to health.

Tracey said: ‘Rosie goes to the groomers every six weeks, she has her haircut and a wash.

Tracey, from Bo’ness, Falkirk, said: ‘I decided to go into the kitchen and make myself a cup of coffee.

‘I thought maybe it was a reflection in the glass, then I saw the ink cartridge on the kitchen floor and I thought “oh my god she’s been into that”. She’d been in the kitchen bin and fished it out.

It was only when the former charity worker got up to make a coffee that she spotted Rosie.

‘Rosie’s a cheeky little lady and a well-loved member of the family, she’s a wee star.’


Will printer ink hurt my dog?

According to Treehugger, ethylene glycol can be fatal to dogs and cats, even in fairly small amounts. (The Humane Society of the United States says one teaspoon of ethylene glycol can be fatal to a 7-pound cat.) If your cat or dog ate a printer cartridge, get them to the vet immediately.

Can dogs get ink poisoning?

Ethanol poisoning is seen frequently in dogs, and occurs due to exposure to dyes, inks, disinfectants, mouthwashes, paints, perfumes, pharmaceuticals, gasoline, and certain beverages.