Dog Ate Latex Paint

If you’ve had a dog for a while, you understand just how much these canines seek adventures. They enjoy running around and are always curious. Unfortunately, this can lead them down dangerous paths. Not only can they end up hitting things in their rush to get to places, but they can also end up eating the most random of things.

For instance, they may eat aluminum cans they find lying around the house or even highlighters you may have left out after an art project. Believe it or not, dogs have even been known to lick paint – imagine, paint of all things. So it’s important to understand how to deal with such situations.

Fortunately, this is where we come in. In this post, we are going to talk about why dogs lick paint if it’s dangerous for them and whether or not they’ll be okay when they do so. Ultimately, we are going to arm you with information that will be useful for years to come.

Most paint isn’t poisonous to dogs when ingested in small amounts. If the paint contains heavy metals like lead, though, even small amounts are poisonous. No matter which type of paint you have, it is poisonous for your dog if they ingest copious amounts.

Generally, lead-based paints are the most poisonous to dogs and other pets. A single small chip of this kind of paint can contain 50mg to 200mg of lead – enough to poison a twenty-pound dog. As such, ingestion of multiple chips can even poison a large dog, especially if they are young or pregnant. Since lead-based paints are poisonous, they have been banned in the United States since 1978.

However, they aren’t regulated in all countries, so you should always be wary of the kind of paint used in your home. Keep in mind that other types of paint may pose a risk, too, although a smaller one. For instance, some latex paints contain ethylene glycol (antifreeze) – a chemical that, when taken in large doses, can have neurological effects and cause kidney failure.

Also, all types of paint can release fumes that can irritate your dog’s eyes or respiratory system.

What do I do if my dog or cat eats paint/varnish or inhales paint/varnish fumes? If you suspect that your pet has been exposed to paint or varnish, contact your veterinarian or Pet Poison Helpline, a 24/7 animal poison control center at 1-800-213-6680 immediately for treatment recommendations.

What Type of Paint Did Your Dog Eat?

This is an important question, as paint ingredients do vary, as noted in the last section. Let’s take a look:

  • Paints without lead: these tend to be safer and a little bit may cause your fur baby to have an upset tummy accompanied by diarrhea and vomiting. However, paints with a low concentration of glycols can be very dangerous if swallowed.
  • Water-based paints: may irritate your canine companion’s skin or mucous membranes (such as in his mouth or throat), but they’re not usually toxic. Even so, if your pup swallows a large amount of paint, he could develop nausea and vomiting.
  • Latex paints: most of these are non-toxic, however, if your fur baby eats a large amount of this type of paint if it contains glycol. In this case, the paint could cause trouble breathing, acidosis (too much acid), and crystals in your pup’s urine. Your fur baby could suffer kidney failure if he doesn’t receive treatment.
  • Oil-based paints: these may contain solvents that can cause lung issues if inhaled. If swallowed, they may cause diarrhea. If the paint contains heavy metals (lead, cadmium, etc.) your dog could become poisoned.
  • Paints May Be Poisonous

    Paints used for homes, art, etc. can be dangerous to dogs if ingested. Some paints are water-based, such as latex, tempera, and paints used for posters, while other paints are solvent-based or oil-based. And if you live in an older building, it’s possible that the paint could include lead.

    Please do use our site to become better informed about the medical problems your pet may have. We will do our best to ensure that information presented is accurate and up-to-date. The most current information will be at the top of each page. Remember that veterinarians often disagree about the best treatments for pets. There are often several perfectly acceptable ways to treat the same condition. Just ask a lot of questions!


    Is latex paint poisonous to dogs?

    Water-based paints may irritate a dog’s or cat’s skin and mucous membranes, but they’re not expected to cause toxicity or poisoning. However, large ingestions may cause nausea and vomiting. Most latex paints are considered to be non-toxic.

    Is it bad if my dog eats paint?

    Acrylic paint is very toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea and even death. If your dog ate a lot of it, call your vet right away or if possible, send it to an emergency vet. Water-based paints are less harmful than oil-based paints but still cause stomach problems in dogs if they ingest large amounts.