Lysol is a phenol-based cleaning product generally not recommended for use in homes with dogs. Phenol can cause liver damage to pets, and Lysol gives off potentially harmful volatile organic compounds in its vapors. Additionally, if your dog licks or ingests Lysol, it can cause serious chemical burns, usually on the tongue and upper esophagus.
If you see your dog make mouth or tongue contact with Lysol, flush her mouth repeatedly with lots of water to minimize burns and ingestion. Contact your vet right away. If youve recently cleaned with Lysol or your dog has gained access to a bottle and you notice that shes excessively swallowing or drooling, lethargic, repeatedly pawing at the mouth, refusing to eat or showing other troubling potential signs of toxicity, seek emergency veterinary care immediately.
In general, avoid chemical commercial cleansers. Isopropyl alcohol and vinegar are effective dog-friendly disinfectant alternatives to Lysol; isopropyl alcohol needs to dry before allowing your dog access. Baking soda is cheap, nontoxic and easy to use as a cleaning product. Sprinkle it on straight or make a paste by mixing it with a little water. Scrub spots on hard surfaces, carpets, upholstery and other surfaces to clean and deodorize. Borax is a natural compound used in many laundry detergents that works like baking soda in many instances. Mineral oil is a pet-safe alternative to wood cleaners, and cornstarch works well on carpets, windows and many metals.
Eric Mohrman has been a freelance writer since 2007, focusing on travel, food and lifestyle stories. His creative writing is also widely published. He lives in Orlando, Florida.
What should I do if my dog eats a Clorox wipe?
Chat live with a licensed veterinarian, or schedule a video call to get expert advice for your pet’s health.
Clorox Wipes & Dogs
To start with, your dog will not like the taste of the Clorox wipe. That’s a good thing! What’s more, one lick will probably not make your dog sick. That’s good news!
However, if your dog drinks more of the liquid or eats a bunch of wipes, it’s possible he could become sick.
For these reasons, it’s best to keep all disinfectant and cleaning products out of your dog’s reach. It’s also necessary to keep your dog away from any surfaces that you’ve wiped down with Clorox wipes. The surface will be safe for your fur baby only once it dries.
Can I wipe my dog with a Clorox wipe?
It’s probably not a good idea to use a disinfecting wipe, like a Clorox Wipe or a Lysol Wipe, on your dog’s paws. The same chemicals that do the disinfecting are harmful if ingested… like if the dog licks the paws after using that kind of wipe.
The exposure of bleach to your pet can be harmful; ultra-concentrated bleach can result in severe lesions on the skin, and in lesser cases, skin irritation. If your furry friend happens to ingest any of these products, toxicity could result in complications within the digestive and respiratory systems.
As we’ve mentioned before products such as bleach can cause permanent and even life-threatening damage to a pet’s skin or insides if swallowed. If you do use bleach, make sure that your dog never comes into contact with it in its concentrated form (same goes for any cleaning product that needs to be diluted).
What to do if dog eats disinfectant wipe?
If you believe your dog has ingested Clorox, call your veterinarian, an emergency animal clinic, or an animal poison control helpline immediately for instructions. Unless instructed, do not induce vomiting as the act of vomiting may cause more harm.
Is Lysol fatal to dogs?
Are disinfecting wipes safe for dogs?
What if my dog eats Clorox?