Dog Ate Play Doh

Dogs, especially puppies, have a special talent to find things that they shouldn’t eat. Most adult dogs won’t eat inedible stuff like play-doh or your shoes, but when they’re young that might happen more often. It’s like having a small child at home that you always have to be watching out for. If you have play-doh, you’re likely to have an actual child as well, which can be more challenging to keep an eye on everyone.

So, if you’re going through something like “my dog ate play-doh, what to do now?” Play-doh is mainly made with salt. This is the main ingredient among other things, but this is the one you should worry about. Too much salt may be bad for dogs. It can overload their kidneys, which can cause pain, nausea, vomiting. Most of the time, you don’t need to worry. To be safe, you should induce vomiting.

Now, it’s important to keep in mind that the original play-doh has natural ingredients, which is great for you in this situation. It means that there’s a good chance that your dog’s organism will be able to handle it. Still, depending on a few variances, you may have to take your dog to the vet.

So, if you’re still worried about this, which you should, keep reading to find out. Below you can see how to make your dog throw up, what to do to help his body process this, and when to go to the vet.

What Happens If My Dog Ate Play-Doh? As before, most dogs that eat Play-Doh will show no ill effects at all and need no treatment or intervention. However, if a large amount of Play-Doh was consumed, or if the Play-Doh contains a potentially toxic ingredient, then urgent professional veterinary help is required.

Symptoms To Watch Out For If Your Pet Has Ingested Play-Doh

If you aren’t 100 percent sure that your doggo has eaten Play-Doh, you can watch out for the following symptoms:

If your pet is displaying one or more of the symptoms listed above, the chances are it’s eaten these crafting clays and needs immediate medical attention.

Some sources on the internet may recommend a wait-and-watch approach, but if your pupper’s health is at risk – don’t take any chances.

Playdough (Play-Doh)—What is It?

There are generally two types of Play-Doh—commercially-made and homemade. Both of versions of the clay-like substance are non-toxic and are made with flour, food coloring, salt, and water.

While Playdough is non-toxic, the problem for dogs is that this substance is high in salt. Salt poisoning can be deadly for dogs.

Not only that, but Play-Doh can also cause an intestinal blockage if enough of the dough is eaten. This is especially dangerous if the dog has eaten a large quantity of the Playdough.

Despite these natural ingredients, Play-Doh can be harmful to dogs. If your dogs ate Play-Doh, you should observe their symptoms, induce vomiting and take them to the vet in case they ate too much of it.

Play-Doh is a kind of modeling clay made for kids to mold for their crafting interests. It is mainly made from water, salt and flour.

Let’s take a more detailed look at this issue to find out exactly what you can do. Table of Contents [