Dog Ate Rib Bones

What will happen if a dog eats a rib bone?

What if My Dog Ate a Rib Bone?

Even if a dog is prevented from eating his human’s food, an eager pup might follow delicious smells to the garbage and take matters into his own paws.

If you catch your dog in the act of eating leftover rib bones, try not to panic. Rib bones are not good for them, but dogs have robust digestive systems that are descended from those of wolves and other wild canines. Assess your dog’s behavior to see if he needs a vet visit.

The first and most urgent response is to make sure your dog is not choking. Check that he is breathing clearly and easily, without gagging, dry heaving, or gasping.

If your dog seems well, consider feeding him several slices of soft bread. This will pad out his digestive system, providing protection as the sharp shards of bone work their way through.

After ensuring that your dog can breathe, inspect his mouth. A bone can break a dog’s tooth or cut his mouth or tongue, so look carefully for blood or broken teeth.

These problems can be messy and painful, so catching them right away will allow you to get them treated as soon as possible.

Even if your dog seems fine, keep a close eye on him for the next 24-48 hours. Bones that make their way into the digestive system are at risk of puncturing or getting stuck in the stomach.

Damage to the stomach or intestines can lead to a bacterial infection called peritonitis. This condition can be hard to treat and deadly if left alone.

If the rib bone causes damage to the dog, your dog’s abdomen may become sensitive to the touch. He might become lethargic and stop eating.

Vomiting and bloody stool would also be cause for concern, demonstrating pain and a disruption in the digestive system.

If your dog shows any of these behaviors in the period after eating a rib bone, watch him carefully and contact your vet. Even if your dog does not get an infection, a bone stuck in the digestive system can prevent a dog from eating or drinking.

It is also possible for bones to get stuck in or scrape the colon, which is the passage to the dog’s rectum.

Severe constipation can be very painful and will not go away without treatment. The damage might trigger bleeding from the rectum, which is harmful to your dog and can create a messy situation.

Pork, the meat most commonly used for ribs, isn’t only problematic because of the bones. The only kind of pork that is safe for dogs to consume is cooked, unseasoned pork.

Even if you are willing to cook up some safe pork, consider feeding your dog a small amount or offering chicken instead.

Pork fat is hard for dogs to digest. Avoid giving your dog other forms of pork as well, such as sausage or ham. They are treated with huge amounts of salt, which is not healthy for dogs.

The spices and ingredients that humans use to make their pork taste good are often hazardous for dogs to consume.

Onions and garlic, some of the most popular vegetables, can release dangerous toxins into a dog’s blood. Your dog’s red blood cell count can go down, causing symptoms similar to anemia.

Besides weakness, tiredness, and disinterest in eating, look out for vomiting and rapid panting. Keep your dog’s size in mind—large dogs are more likely to be okay with a small amount of onion or garlic than a small dog. If your pork is cooked with onion or garlic, avoid giving it to your dog.

Salt and nutmeg are two spices commonly put on pork that can make your dog sick. Dogs are only meant to have a small amount of salt per day, so a salty snack can put them way over the limit.

Excessive salt intake can lead to bloat, a deadly condition where the stomach swells and twists. Nutmeg can upset your dog’s stomach and make him very agitated by affecting his nervous system.

Nutmeg has proved deadly to dogs in some cases. If you want to give your dog some pork, cook him a portion without spices or seasonings.

While dogs are usually well built for consuming raw meat, raw pork contains dangerous bacteria for your dog. Just as raw pork is hazardous for humans and can infect them with parasites, dogs are also susceptible to these specific bacteria.

Known as trichinella spiralis, this parasite can infect your dog and cause symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, tiredness, stiffness, and fever. Never give your dog raw pork. Cooked, unseasoned chicken is a great alternative that can actually calm your dog’s digestive tract.

Dogs love bones, and for strong chewers, they can be a great way to keep them from destroying household items.

They also provide healthy minerals for your dog and clean their teeth. If rib bones and other cooked bones are not safe for dogs, what kinds of bones are safe

Don’t Give Your Dog Cooked Bones

Never give your dog cooked bones. They are soft and prone to splintering. Dog’s can’t tell when a bone is no longer safe, and it only takes a moment for them to cut their mouths, choke, or ingest hazardous, sharp pieces.

Take it to the vet.

Take your pet to the vet as soon as you determine how serious it is.

A severe injury from rib bones needs the help of an expert. Thus, it would be best to take your pet to the vet’s clinic as soon as possible.

If left unchecked, it can result in your pet’s life is at risk. The condition may also worsen if you don’t attend to it immediately.


What happens if a dog eats rib bones?

Pork bones, whether raw or cooked, are likely to splinter and crack when your dog chews on them. Your dog might attempt to swallow small pieces of the pork bone, which could lead to choking, intestinal blockages, or damage to the esophagus or intestines. All of these conditions are extremely dangerous.