Have you caught your dog eating the stuffing out of one of their toys? Is it dangerous, you might be asking? Can dogs eat polyester stuffing? What if they are coughing, vomiting, or having diarrhea? Does that mean stuffing is toxic for dogs? Let’s dive deeper into the questions and explore the dangers of stuffing, what to do if your dog eats it, and alternatives to stuffing.
What happens when your dog swallows stuffing
Swallowing some stuffing isn’t always cause for alarm.
“A very small amount of stuffing likely will pass. It may not be as serious as a piece of ribbon or rope or string,” Dr. Lyon told The Dodo.
However, your dog’s prognosis depends on the amount of stuffing swallowed, and the size of your dog.
For example, if a tiny dog ate a large amount of stuffing from a toy, you’re going to want to call your vet, because it’s more likely that could result in an internal blockage.
Of course, sometimes it’s hard to tell how much they ate, so when in doubt, call your vet.
“Our primary concern with stuffing is … a large amount causing obstruction in the intestinal tract,” Dr. Lyon explained.
And if you’re concerned about it being toxic at all, there’s always a risk whenever your dog eats something that’s not food. But odds are if you’re buying toys from a reputable brand, the stuffing probably won’t be harmful in that way.
“Could it be toxic? Perhaps, but our primary concern would be the actual physical obstruction that a significant amount of stuffing might cause,” Dr. Lyon said.
If your dog is experiencing a gastrointestinal obstruction, she might experience symptoms like:
If you notice your pup exhibiting these signs, contact your vet right away. Your dog may need emergency surgery to remove the obstruction.
Plus what to do when you hear that telltale “riiiiiip” sound ♀️
Your dog is playing around with her favorite plush toy when all of a sudden you hear, “Riiiiiiiiiiip.”
Next thing you know, she’s throwing the stuffing around like that’s the toy. But what happens if she accidentally swallows some in all the excitement of tearing the toy apart?
The Dodo spoke with Dr. Clarissa B. Lyon, a veterinarian at Larklain Mobile Veterinary Services in Pennsylvania, to find out when you should actually panic.
Is fluff from toys and beds dangerous?
No, fluff from toys and beds are not dangerous to dogs. But, there are different types of stuffing used in toys and beds, and some of them are more dangerous than others. In the end, there is certainly no stuffing that is particularly safe for consumption.
We know that polyester also contains harmful monomers, but what about cotton or wool stuffing? They aren’t polymers, are they?
Well, strictly speaking, they are. However, natural polymers are mostly water-based and don’t contain too many things that are toxic. So, wool or cotton stuffing is generally safer for your dog to be around.
Keep in mind that even natural polymers used for stuffing can still cause choking and bowel obstruction if your dog eats it.
How long does it take for a dog to pass toy stuffing?
Is the stuffing in dog toys toxic?
When your pet chews the stuffed animal, the filling can get caught in their teeth and cause them to choke on the other material lodged in their throats. Even if they manage to swallow the filling, it can still lead to internal problems like blockages and digestive issues.
Will my dog poop out stuffing?