Dog Ate Tennis Ball Fuzz

Pieces of the rubber can become lodged in the intestinal tract—which is an emergency situation. Along with this, many dogs like to rip the yellow fuzz off of the tennis ball. Swallowing this fuzzy material can also lead to intestinal blockages that may require surgery.

Is it ok for a dog to eat tennis ball fuzz?

Are Tennis Balls Bad for Dog’s Teeth?

Dog Ate Tennis Ball Fuzz

While it takes a long time, the outside covering of a tennis ball CAN be bad for a dog’s teeth.

The fabric is abrasive and it can wear down a dog’s teeth overtime if they chew on it a lot. This can eventually lead to teeth problems in your dog.


Another concern is that when a pooch chomps down on a tennis ball his jaws are strong enough to compress the ball.

If for some reason the ball pops to the back of his throat when he releases his jaw, the ball can get caught in his throat and cut off his air supply. Whole tennis balls have been swallowed by dogs.

Plenty of dogs enjoy chewing on tennis balls until they pop.

Dogs with powerful jaws can easily break tennis balls in their mouths. This can lead to serious choking hazards. Sometimes, one-half of the tennis ball can get lodged in the back of their throats, blocking the airway.

The ball itself is not the only choking risk.

Some dogs enjoy shredding the yellow-green fuzz that surrounds the tennis ball with shell removed

Eating this fuzz can lead to choking hazards and intestinal blockages that could require surgery.

In fact, according to the AKC, Oprah Winfrey’s Golden Retriever, Gracie, choked to death on a tennis ball.

What happens if a dog eats fuzz?

While that fluffy stuffing may seem harmless, when your puppy eats it, there is a risk of it lodging in his stomach or intestines and causing an intestinal blockage, which can be fatal if left untreated.


Is the rubber in a tennis ball toxic to dogs?

Choking Hazard

This can be fatal for your dog. The tennis ball can also break down into pieces as the dog chews, which creates a high risk that your dog will ingest those pieces. Pieces of the rubber can become lodged in the intestinal tract—which is an emergency situation.

Why is my dog eating fuzz?

If your dog ate a tennis ball, it’s vital that you get them to the vet for treatment immediately. Only let your dog play with a tennis ball while supervised and never allow them to chew one or have more than one in his mouth at a time. Ensure your dog will releases the tennis ball immediately when asked.