Dog Ate Toy Stuffing

Polyester stuffing and dogs usually go hand in hand. The reason is that many stuffed dog toys include stuffing made from polyester stuffing. And then there are many items in our homes that contain polyester stuffing. This can include children’s stuffed animals, pillows, and more.

What happens when your dog swallows stuffing

Swallowing some stuffing isn’t always cause for alarm.

“A very small amount of stuffing likely will pass. It may not be as serious as a piece of ribbon or rope or string,” Dr. Lyon told The Dodo.

However, your dog’s prognosis depends on the amount of stuffing swallowed, and the size of your dog.

For example, if a tiny dog ate a large amount of stuffing from a toy, you’re going to want to call your vet, because it’s more likely that could result in an internal blockage.

Of course, sometimes it’s hard to tell how much they ate, so when in doubt, call your vet.

“Our primary concern with stuffing is … a large amount causing obstruction in the intestinal tract,” Dr. Lyon explained.

And if you’re concerned about it being toxic at all, there’s always a risk whenever your dog eats something that’s not food. But odds are if you’re buying toys from a reputable brand, the stuffing probably won’t be harmful in that way.

“Could it be toxic? Perhaps, but our primary concern would be the actual physical obstruction that a significant amount of stuffing might cause,” Dr. Lyon said.

If your dog is experiencing a gastrointestinal obstruction, she might experience symptoms like:

  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite or refusal to eat
  • Abdominal pain
  • If you notice your pup exhibiting these signs, contact your vet right away. Your dog may need emergency surgery to remove the obstruction.

    What happens if a dog eats toy stuffing?

    Ever wondered what happens if a dog eats foam or toy stuffing? Well, I can tell you because my dog has actually done it.

    On the occasions it has happened, I tend to find him eating part of his fabric toy before I get a chance to intervene. This is typically his way to get to the squeaker inside it, as he tears at the polyester stuffing when opening the toy up.

    You can see a photo below where he has done this before, but we caught him in time. Before this occasion it had happened once and I had tried to get most of the polyester stuffing out his mouth, but he’d already eaten quite a lot already.

    Dog Ate Toy Stuffing

    Your natural instinct is to make a grab for stuffed animal when you see it in your dog’s mouth.

    That’s what I did on that one occasion, but unfortunately that produced the opposite reaction to what I wanted; he produced a reflex and swallowed some of the fabric and stuffing.

    My immediate action was to call the vet and then drive up there. The vet checked our dog over and made the call to let the fabric and stuffing pass though as it was small and unlikely to cause him in any harm.

    Within 12 hours it had come out in his poop – I was thankful it was so small so there were no complications.

    It might not have been that way though, as it’s not unheard of for polyester stuffing and fabric to create internal blockages in dogs, leading to more serious problems.

    Having gone through a scare like, I’ve decided to compile the steps you should take when your dog ate a small stuffed toy, as described by my vet.

    Can A Dog Die From Toy Stuffing?

    It is possible for a dog to die from complications related to eating toy stuffing. Toy stuffing as a material alone isn’t likely to kill a dog unless it is made of or coated with a toxic substance. Instead, the stuffing is dangerous because it is hard for a dog’s stomach to digest and can quickly form clumps of undigested material in a dog’s stomach or intestines, with complications leading to death.

    Toy stuffing is not made of any regular food materials.

    It is designed to be springy and clumps together to add size and softness to whatever it is filling.

    This is great news for stuffed animals and potentially dangerous news for your snacking dog.

    Toy stuffing gets chewed by curious dogs, but when it doesn’t break down, the dog instinctively tries to swallow the pieces whole.

    Swallowing large chunks of toy fluff whole can make dogs choke.

    A dog that is choking and does not receive medical help can die.

    A dog’s stomach may struggle to break down the toy filling, and instead, the filling gets lodged in the stomach or other digestive organs and blocks the path for important foods and waste as they try to pass by.

    This problem is known as a blockage and can be fatal to dogs who are left untreated.

    Careful monitoring of your dog after it eats toy fluff is important so that you can seek veterinary help if your dog shows signs of illness.


    What happens if my dog eats stuffing from a toy?

    A: This is a common problem. Of most concern is the possibility of stomach or small intestinal blockage. Objects that dogs swallow seem to pass through the digestive tract most of the time, but it is not uncommon for surgery to be required.

    How long does it take for stuffing to pass through a dog?

    How long does it take to pass the stuffing? It usually takes between 10 and 24 hours for a foreign object to pass through a dog’s digestive system. That said, some objects can take much longer.

    Will my dog poop out stuffing?

    Most of the time, small amounts of stuffing will pass through the dog that eats it. Any stuffing that doesn’t break down as it moves through a dog’s stomach and intestines will be passed into the dog’s stool within a couple of days of being eaten.