Dog Breeding Licence Sa

Individuals or businesses who sell or offer to sell or transport or offer for transportation, in commerce, warm-blooded animals for use in research, exhibition, or as pets must be licensed as a dealer. In addition, individuals or businesses who buy, sell, offer to buy or sell, or transport or offer to transport, in commerce, warm-blooded animals to or from another dealer or exhibitor must be licensed as a dealer. A Class A license is issued to dealers who sell animals that are bred and raised at their facility in a closed or stable colony. A Class B license is issued to other dealers whose business includes the purchase and/or resale of warm-blooded animals Examples of dealers include commercial dog-breeding facilities, animal brokers, and operators of auction sales.

There are exemptions to the dealer licensing requirements. In summary, the exemptions include but are not limited to, retail pet stores, breeders with four or fewer breeding females of dogs, cats, and/or small exotic or wild mammals, sales of less than 25 dogs or cats per year to research facilities, purchases and sales of animals used only for the purposes of food or fiber (including fur), and any person who buys animals solely for his or her own use or enjoyment.

Individuals or businesses with warm-blooded animals that are on display, perform for the public, or are used in educational presentations must be licensed as exhibitors with APHIS. Licensed exhibitors include circuses, zoos, educational displays, petting farms/zoos, animal acts, wildlife parks, marine mammal parks, and some sanctuaries. The animals involved in the exhibition may include domestic and exotic animal species.

Research facilities use animals (as defined by the Animal Welfare Act) for research, teaching, testing or experimentation. Examples of research facilities include hospitals, colleges and universities, and pharmaceutical firms. The Animal Welfare Act requires researchers to provide anesthesia or pain-relieving medication to minimize the pain or distress caused by an experiment, unless otherwise scientifically justified. The Animal Welfare Act does not allow Animal Care to prevent the use of animals in research or experimentation, however.

A person with a commercial business that moves animals from one location to another is considered a transporter under the Animal Welfare Act and must be registered with the USDA. Examples of transporters include airlines and trucking companies.

If you have any questions about applying for a license or registration under the Animal Welfare Act, please contact the USDA Animal Care office below.

In South Australia, from 1 July 2018, any person(s) selling dogs or cats that they have bred (whether accidentally or on purpose) are required by law to register as a breeder with the Dog and Cat Management Board (DCMB). Animals that are given away are excluded from this requirement.

Dog and cat breeders/sellers must be registered as a ‘breeder’ in Dogs and Cats Online. Before buying a puppy or kitten, perform a ‘breeder search’ in Dogs and Cats Online to check they are registered. Registration does not imply the breeder’s credentials are endorsed, you need to make your own assessment. For example ask to meet the animals’ parents and inspect the premises in which the animal has been bred.

When you register you’ll be assigned a Dogs and Cats Online, DACO, breeder registration number. All breeder registration numbers begin with ‘DACO’ immediately followed by 6 numbers (no spaces). Your DACO breeder registration number is not transferrable—it can’t be used by anyone but you. You must include your DACO breeder registration number in any advertisements selling dogs and cats you have bred.

The data collected from both the council grants projects and the monitoring of electronic platforms will inform the Board on the scale and range of issues associated with dog and cat breeder sales and help develop future projects to support this area.

Sellers placing advertisements that do not comply with the Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995 will be informed of their legal requirements and any scam advertisements will be noted and reported.

The program includes a $300,000 grant scheme to fund local council projects that proactively enforce state breeding laws and better educate breeders about their legislative responsibilities under the Dog and Cat Management Act, 1995 (the Act).

A dog and cat breeder education and compliance program has been launched this week to reinforce breeding and sales laws in South Australia.

More information about dog and cat breeding and sales laws as well as advice on buying a puppy or kitten is available at


How many litters can a dog have before you have to register as a breeder?

Please read the sections below to find out which regulations are in place across the country. A breeding licence is required for anyone breeding three or more litters in a 12-month period and/or anyone that breeds dogs and advertises a business of selling dogs.

How do I report a dog breeder in South Australia?

You can report an unregistered breeder or a person supplying a puppy or kitten without a Breeder Registration Number to your local council. If you have animal welfare concerns in relation to any breeder (registered or not), you can call RSPCA South Australia’s 24-hour hotline on 1300 477 722.

How do I become a registered dog breeder in Australia?

To become an approved commercial dog breeder, businesses must apply and be registered as a breeding domestic animal business with local council. To be registered as a domestic animal business, a business must: satisfy planning permit requirements and receive a planning permit, if required.

How do I become a registered dog breeder act?

You must have been a financial member of Dogs ACT or with an Australian State Canine Controlling body for period of not less than twelve months leading up to the submission of this application. You must be a Resident of the ACT and will be required to prove your residency at the time of submission of this application.