Dog Drank Blue Toilet Water

As most dog owners know, the sight of a dog with their head in a toilet bowl is not unusual. However, that doesn’t mean the sight won’t turn our stomachs or cause concern, especially if there’s toilet cleaner in the water. Understanding why your dog is so attracted to drinking toilet water, what the impacts of that indulgence can be, and how to curb such compulsions can help put your mind at ease.

Though the idea of drinking from a toilet might be confusing if not revolting to us humans, our dogs have a very different opinion. They don’t see the toilet as a waste receptacle but as a source of refreshment.

Dogs – like humans – prefer chilled water. So even if you make sure to keep their water bowls full, the odds of your pup drinking all of it at once are low. That means that the water will likely be closer to room temperature by the time they get back to it. The water in the toilet, on the other hand, is almost always cold, making it preferable to what they find in their bowls.

It can be a matter of taste, too. While metal bowls are often seen as more durable, they can transfer an unappealing taste to their contents. That metallic flavor can prompt dogs to seek out better tasting alternatives. A porcelain toilet can offer just that.

This preference may also be primal. Most animals in the wild, including canines, instinctively seek out running water. It is not only often cleaner than stagnant water but tastier, too.

Though our lovable pets may not be quite ready to run with the wolves, some of those natural instincts remain. The running water in your toilet might be triggering their attraction to the bowl.

If your pet drinks some of that blue toilet water, you can give them a small amount of milk or fresh water to help dilute the mixture even further. Be sure to contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center if more than mild stomach upset develops.

When Can “Blue Toilet Water” Be Bad?

Some pet owners use antifreeze in their toilets during winter, which can also produce blue toilet water. Antifreeze appeals to pets because antifreeze usually tastes sweet. If your pet has consumed antifreeze, you need to get it to the vet right away. Antifreeze is very dangerous to both dogs and cats. If you use antifreeze in your toilets, you should always keep the toilet lid closed, and the bathroom door closed.

Many pets have been lost to antifreeze because, to them, it’s delicious. Other solutions are safer for those concerned about the potential freezing of their toilet lines — such as simply making sure that the toilet is flushed at intervals to keep the water moving in the pipes. Likewise, if your pet has a preference for drinking from toilets, you should be cautious when taking them to the homes of others. Others might have antifreeze or other potentially harmful chemicals in their toilet bowls that could be potentially dangerous.

But most blue toilet water isn’t anything like antifreeze and isn’t going to be as dangerous to your pup — as long as it isn’t concentrated. If your dog eats the concentrated version of practically any household cleaner, you should be more concerned, as these potent cleaners are much harsher on the system.

Blue toilet water for dogs: how bad is it?

Our canine friends are famous for a lot of weird behaviors. Among them — drinking water from the toilet bowl.

Besides being shocking, this gross habit can leave you gagging in the worst ways!

If you’re among those who love using blue-colored toilet cleaning tables and detergents to keep your bowl smelling fresh and looking sparkling, the sight of your dog taking blue water is enough to make your heart race so fast!

Toilet cleaning products contain harmful chemicals like bleach, hydrochloric acid, and more. When these toxic ingredients mix with the clean toilet water inside the bowl, the resulting solution is potentially dangerous when ingested.

Dog Drank Blue Toilet Water

That’s why blue toilet water is potentially poisonous and toxic for your dog. Toilet cleaning products are among the leading causes of pet poisoning in homes.

The thought of pet poisoning happening inside your home — the place you consider safest for your dog — can be scary, but it happens. Good thing, it’s completely avoidable, and I’ll share how in a bit.

Your dog is likely to fall sick after drinking blue water. They may experience symptoms including:

  • Stomach upsets.
  • Burning sensation in the mouth and throat.
  • Nausea.
  • Vomiting.
  • Diarrhea.
  • The intensity of these side effects will also depend on how concentrated the toilet water is with the cleaner product.

    If you poured too much of the product, or your dog swallowed pieces of blue cleaning tablets that hadn’t fully dissolved in the water, their symptoms could be more serious. When this happens, you’ll need to make an emergency visit to your vet.

    In case you used small amounts of the cleaning product or caught your dog right before it took several gulps, the symptoms may be mild. Here, you can use some home remedies to relieve the symptoms.

    The most popular remedy is giving your dog some milk or fresh water right after the incident. Water will dilute the blue water’s concentration in your dog’s tummy, while milk can neutralize the blue water’s acidity. Before administering anything, though, be sure to give your vet a call first so they can advise you on the appropriate remedy.

    Generally, it’s also advisable to still take your dog for evaluation even if they aren’t exhibiting severe symptoms after taking blue toilet water.

    Now, here’s what you should NEVER do.

    Don’t… and I repeat… Don’t try to make your dog vomit if they haven’t. Why? The blue water might be highly acidic. If you induce vomiting, the vomit can cause severe burning irritation as it moves up your dog’s throat.

    Why Do Dogs Drink Toilet Water?

    That’s a great question! Our fur babies have many habits we just can’t understand. Whether they have a taste for things that died a few months ago, love to roll in smelly things, or have a penchant for eating the poo from the kitty’s litter box, dogs seem to be very non-discerning when it comes to ingesting things. Can My Dog Be Lactose Intolerant?

    This, of course, also applies to toilet water. Why does a dog go for toilet water? One of the attractions could be the fact that the water in the toilet runs frequently. For a dog, this is an indicator the water is fresh and clean, rather than dirty and stagnant. Yes, it’s toilet water, bur your dog’s natural instincts may drive him to drink water that’s fresh.Advertisement

    Another reason is that the water is easily accessible. If your fur baby is tall enough to drink out of the toilet, it could be a matter of accessibility and convenience.

    In some cases, there may be no obvious answer. Dogs may just prefer toilet water for their own reasons!


    What happens if a dog drinks toilet water with cleaner in it?

    On the other hand, the tablets themselves and undiluted liquid toilet bowl cleaners are corrosive. Ingesting them will irritate your dog’s entire gastrointestinal tract, from his mouth and esophagus to his stomach and intestines, causing vomiting and diarrhea.

    Is toilet bowl cleaner toxic to dogs?

    Toilet bowl cleaners are among the most toxic for pets, especially the kind that clip to the edge of the toilet or sit in the tank, because their purpose is to deliver a constant level of chemicals to the toilet water. These caustic agents can burn your dog’s mouth and throat, at a minimum.

    What happens if a dog licks toilet bowl cleaner?

    Bathroom cleaners, bleach, Lysol and other products can all cause what we call “Chemical Burns” to the mouth, tongue and esophagus. Some of these products are caustic and actually severe burns. Some dogs will paw at their mouths, start drooling, quit eating or act painful. Many burns will not show up immediately.