Dog Licked Pest Control Spray

Diagnosis of Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

A diagnosis for insecticide poisoning is typically made based on history and clinical findings. If you know or suspect that your dog has insecticide poisoning, bring a sample of the insecticide with you so that the veterinarian can prescribe the appropriate treatment. Let the veterinarian know what symptoms your dog has exhibited, as well as their duration and severity.

Treatment is usually provided before confirmation of the diagnosis, as insecticide poisoning can be quickly fatal. However, with certain insecticides, the diagnosis can be confirmed with laboratory testing of the blood or urine. If cholinesterase in the blood is less than 25 percent of normal levels, the veterinarian will confirm a positive case. If you are not sure that your dog has been in contact with an insecticide, and if clinical signs do not ease following treatment, insecticide poisoning may not be the cause of your dog’s symptoms.

Treatment of Insecticide Poisoning in Dogs

Treatment for insecticide poisoning depends on whether the insecticide was applied or ingested though the goal in both cases is decontamination and symptom management. If the insecticide was applied, simply bathing your dog with dish washing detergent before the product has been absorbed may be enough to decontaminate him or her.

In cases where the insecticide was ingested, it will need to be flushed out of your dog’s stomach. In most cases, this can be accomplished by inducing vomiting and/or through emptying the bowels. With certain insecticides, vomiting is not recommended, in which case the veterinarian may administer activated charcoal to bind toxins and prevent them from getting absorbed.

IV fluid therapy may be necessary for dehydrated dogs while anti-seizure medication may be given to address convulsions and a respirator, or oxygen cage used to aid with breathing. As the insecticide is flushed out of your dog’s system, the veterinarian will focus on managing his or her symptoms. Hospitalization may be required for treatment, monitoring, and supportive care.

Worried about the cost of Insecticide Poisoning treatment?

Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.

Causes of Pesticide Poisoning in Dogs

The cause of pesticide poisoning in dogs is from the ingestion or inhalation of a specific type of pesticide. Pesticide poisoning negatively affects the dog by:

  • Adversely affecting the central nervous system
  • Inhibiting central nervous system enzymes
  • Causing chemical burns on the skin, and the mouth, or in the eyes
  • Adversely affecting enzymes of other organ systems, such as the heart, liver, and kidneys
  • FAQ

    What happens if my dog licks pest control?

    If your pet begins showing symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, trouble walking, drooling, nausea, and/or tremors contact your veterinarian immediately as these are signs that your pet is suffering from pesticide related toxicity.

    Can pest control spray make my dog sick?

    Most pesticides or insecticides (typically those that come in a spray can) are basic irritants to dogs and cats, and result in clinical signs of drooling, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

    Can dogs recover from pesticide poisoning?

    Recovery of Pesticide Poisoning in Dogs

    Recovery depends on the type of pesticide, the amount ingested, and the response time for treatment. If your dog has positively responded to treatment, your veterinarian will want to keep a watchful eye on him for at least 24 hours.

    How do I know if my dog has pesticide poisoning?

    Carbamate Insecticides

    Signs of toxicity include excessive drooling, abdominal cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, sweating, difficulty breathing, a bluish tinge to skin and mucous membranes, small pupils, muscle spasms, convulsions, buildup of fluid in the lungs, and death.