What should I do if my dog eats a chicken bone?
If you suspect that your dog has eaten a chicken bone and they display any of the following symptoms, take them to your veterinarian immediately:
How long does it take for a dog to pass a chicken bone?
The chicken bone will probably pass within 24 hours, but factors such as your dog’s size, breed, age and even diet will influence this. Some dogs may take over two days to pass the bones. If your dog seems perfectly normal after getting into chicken bones, then it is very likely that there will be no issues.
The difference between safe and unsafe bones for dogs
Most bones are actually fairly risky for dogs. Although frequently marketed to dog parents, even beef bones aren’t always safe. “[They] tend to be a bit safer than chicken bones in the sense [that] they usually can’t break them down to create a sharp edge,” Dr. Werber advises. “However, if one gets small enough to be swallowed, it becomes a choking hazard.”
Beyond the risk of choking, Dr. Werber also warns that “the bone marrow has high fat content, so dogs love it, but too much of it can create the risk for pancreatitis.”
There is also a risk of dogs becoming injured on bones. “Knuckle bones, that have a hollow center like a donut, can wrap around the lower jaw and get stuck,” Dr. Werber explains. “Also, rib bones can often get stuck on the roof of the mouth between the molar teeth”
So, Dr. Werber advises that dogs stay away from all-natural bones. “The best kinds of bones to give a dog are the ones manufactured for dogs to be eaten, such as Dreambones or Smartbones,” he says. “These bones are made of chicken and vegetables and are fully digestible, so you don’t have to worry about the hazards.”
Are Chicken Bones Safe To Feed Your Pet? The Answer May Surprise You
You were watching the big game on TV when you got distracted long enough for your dog, Buddy, to steal the bones of every yummy chicken wing sitting on your table. After a family fried chicken dinner, the kids scraped their plates into the trash can, but someone didn’t replace the lid tightly and Buddy couldn’t resist. Or, perhaps someone had a picnic earlier and left behind a chicken bone that Buddy sniffed out and scarfed down during your evening walk.
Yes, we’ve all been there. Aren’t dogs inherently built to eat and digest steak, chicken, ham or rib bones? Well, not exactly. But, before you rush Buddy off to the clinic, here are a few things to consider. Although dogs and bones have always gone together, it’s cooked bones – not raw – that can be dangerous.
Raw bones – yes, even raw chicken bones – are actually quite beneficial for dogs. In addition to providing calcium, phosphorus, and other minerals and nutrients, they stimulate the production of saliva enzymes that keep teeth and gums clean and healthy, and are an excellent way to provide both mental and physical stimulation, preventing boredom or bad behavior. Remember to always supervise your dog while he’s chewing.
Cooked bones, on the other hand, unless they have been labeled as safe for dogs, should be avoided. Yes, even that rib bone your dog’s been salivating over while you ate dinner should go safely into the trash or compost pile and not into your dog’s bowl. Cooked bones become dry and brittle. When chewed by your dog, cooked bones can crack and splinter leading to painful cuts to the mouth and gums, or, worse, can lead to choking, internal injuries, punctured organs, and death.
1.When Buddy gets hold of the cooked bones. Because cooked bones can splinter in a dog’s mouth, throat, and digestive linings; thus, causing serious injury and even death, it is very important that you first make sure that right after your pooch has gotten hold of the bones, he is not choking on them. You will know that the bones have been lodged in your dog’s throat if he starts to gag, wretch, vomit, drink excessively, lick his lips, suddenly shows an anxious pacing, or has difficulty sitting down comfortably.
2. When Buddy has already ingested the bones. If your dog has already eaten the forbidden food and does not appear to be choking or experiencing any kind of distress, it is likely that he will be fine. Nevertheless, it is essential that you remain vigilant about his condition over the next few days. Ensure that he is able to pass the bones through his stool. You can try giving your pooch something soft such as white bread to serve as a cushion in his stomach. This way, delicate digestive lining can be protected from being scratched by the bones’ jagged edges.
Because perforation of organs is a real threat whenever sharp objects are ingested by your pet, it is imperative that you pay attention to possible internal bleeding. For the next 12 to 72 hours, be alert for signs of bloody stool, difficulty defecating, stomach swelling, vomiting, nervous or anxious behavior, or any other form of abdominal discomfort. If you see your dog exhibiting any one of these symptoms, immediately seek out medical attention. If after 72 hours you still haven’t found any bone fragments in his stool, have your dog examined by a vet.
3. Learn from the experience. Prevention is always better than a cure. The best thing you can do after this frightening incident is to learn from it and ensure that it does not ever happen again. Take precautionary measures by keeping a better eye on Buddy, purchasing a more dog-safe trash can, and ensuring that table scraps are not in any accessible place to your pooch.