How To Treat Fiberglass Poisoning In Dogs

We recommend taking your pet to a veterinarian immediately; do not wait for an appointment. If the insulation poisoned them, they can be treated with an antidote in some cases. Endoscopies can also remove the chemical or toxin, as can surgery in the most serious of cases.

My dog ate insulation, what happens now?

No matter what kind of insulation you use in your home (more on that in a minute), a dog eating insulation is always a bad thing. In fact, many consider insulation to be the worst thing that your dog can eat — even more so than chocolate!

If your dog eats insulation, you immediately need to get him to the vet. There are all sorts of possibilities when it comes to your dog’s potential health outcome in eating insulation. For example:

  • Suffocation on the insulation
  • Choking on the insulation
  • Suffering from a serious intestinal blockage
  • Suffering from internal bleeding
  • Toxic poison
  • Death
  • Pretty serious, huh? There’s really no good case scenario for a dog who’s eaten insulation, which is why a quick trip to the vet is very, very important to helping your doggo get through this very bad snacking choice.


    Decks, grills, siding on your house—there are many things around houses that may need some serious cleaning from time to time. Good old elbow grease will only go so far when attempting to combat the elements, so cleaners used for these purposes tend to be very strong. When undiluted, many of these cleaners can and will cause burns to your pets’ mouth, throat and stomach even with small ingestions.

    Swelling in the mouth or the tongue and drooling

    From the gums to the tongue to the throat, you may notice swelling around your dog’s mouth, This means that he is dealing with poisoning, but also that the materials have pierced him (think a series of mini knife blades), and he’s got a serious amount of cuts in his mouth. This is also the case if he’s drooling a lot, which is an automatic reflex as your dog’s mouth tries to heal itself.

    If your dog is passing blood from either end or vomiting excessively, these are more common when he’s got internal bleeding or a serious blockage that is going to need surgery.

    If he starts to seize or simply faints, this is another sign that he’s dealing with poison complications, organ shut down, internal bleeding, and more. This is the most serious symptom and is often a point of no return for your pooch.


    What happens if my dog eats fiberglass?

    Though fiberglass insulation does not affect an animal’s organs, it could cause an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract if they ate too much. Also, it’s irritating and uncomfortable when a pet is trying to pass it, leading to vomiting, diarrhea or stomach discomfort.

    Can a dog survive eating insulation?

    Dangers of dogs eating insulation

    The main danger if your dog ate insulation is the possibility of it causing an intestinal blockage for your pooch. Once ingested, these materials can become stuck in your pup’s digestive tract, creating a medical emergency that requires a trip to the veterinarian.

    What should I do if my dog ate insulation?

    Signs Your Dog Eating Insulation

    Complications can range from blockage in the intestines to bleeding internally to even death. More symptoms include nausea, vomiting, lethargy, bloating, and noticeable pain. If your dog is exhibiting any of these, get in touch with your vet as soon as possible.

    How do you treat a fiberglass rash?

    If you’ve come into contact with fiberglass shards or you have a rash and itchiness after you were exposed to fiberglass, don’t rub or scratch the area. Immediately wash the exposed area with warm water and mild soap and wipe with a washcloth to remove the glass fibers from your skin.