I Accidentally Gave My Dog Two Heartworm Pills

Is It Dangerous If I Gave My Dog A Heartworm Pill Early? Rest assured: It won’t be dangerous if you give your dog a Heartgard pill early, whether intentionally or by accident.

Overview Ivermectin is an amazing medication used to kill many different types of parasites. It’s most commonly used in monthly heartworm prevention. It is also used to treat ear mites as well as hair mites, which can cause mange. It is used to treat some internal parasites as well. Toxicity can occur if a dog is given an excessive dose of the medication (10 to 20 times the recommended dose). Additionally, certain dogs are genetically hypersensitive to the medication. In these dogs, ivermectin can pass directly to the brain and be toxic or even lethal. Sensitivity to the drug can also be seen in dogs or puppies that have overdosed on a similar medication in the past.

This genetic sensitivity is due to a mutation in what is called the MDR1 gene. This mutant gene may make the dog more sensitive to several other medications as well. Not all individual dogs in the breeds listed above carry the mutant gene. The only way to know if an individual dog has the mutant MDR1 gene is through testing. To do the test, cells are scraped from the inside of the dog’s cheek and sent to a laboratory for genetic testing. Talk to your veterinarian if you are interested in having your dog tested.

Prevention Remember, when given the proper dose, parasite preventives are safe and protect your dog from deadly parasites, such as heartworms. To prevent toxicity, always follow the recommended dose for all medications. If you have one of the breeds that is more susceptible to ivermectin toxicity, please speak to your veterinarian about the risks and benefits of ivermectin.

Your veterinarian will work to keep your pet comfortable and will treat any symptoms that develop. Treatment will depend on the symptoms and may include giving your dog fluids directly into a vein (intravenously), nutritional support (possibly with a feeding tube), placing your dog on a ventilator, maintaining your dog’s body temperature, or administering medication to control seizures.


Can’t remember if I gave my dog heartworm medicine?

So if you forgot to give your dog his heartworm pill, give your vet a call. Your veterinarian will likely suggest you give the pill right away and then continue giving the medication on the day you’ve always given it.

Can you overdose on heartworm?

Dog Ate Too Much Heartworm Medicine

Despite the best-laid plans, overdoses can occur.

Can a dog overdose on Heartgard Plus?

At elevated doses, sensitive dogs showed adverse reactions which included mydriasis, depression, ataxia, tremors, drooling, paresis, recumbency, excitability, stupor, coma and death. HEARTGARD demonstrated no signs of toxicity at 10 times the recommended dose (60 mcg/kg) in sensitive Collies.

Is it OK to give heartworm pill early?

For this reason, heartworm prevention for dogs is by far the best option, and treatment—when needed—should be administered as early in the course of the disease as possible.