Is latex harmful to dogs? Here’s What to Expect

Symptoms of Latex Allergies in Dogs

Skin reactions that are not located at the contact location are often concentrated around the face, groin, under the front legs, or between the toes. Natural latex allergies are particularly prone to causing hives in both humans and canines.

  • Bald patches
  • Blister-like lesions
  • Chronic ear infections
  • Chronically inflamed feet
  • Coughing
  • Face rubbing
  • Head shaking
  • Hives
  • Obsessive licking
  • Paw biting
  • Skin infections
  • Skin rashes
  • Ulcerations on skin
  • Vomiting
  • Wheezing
  • Types

    Your pet may have an allergy to natural rubber latex, to synthetic latex, or to both. Untreated allergies in dogs generally increase in intensity over time and can spread to include similar compounds, so a dog allergic to synthetic latex may later develop an additional allergy to natural rubber and vice versa.

    Natural Rubber – Natural rubber products are created using the sap of the rubber plant (Hevea brasiliensis). Although anaphylactic shock is a relatively common reaction in humans, it seems to be less common in canines. Repeated exposures over time increase this risk.

    Synthetic Latex – Synthetic latex products are usually derived from crude oil which is then combined with various chemicals. As brand names of synthetic latex vary slightly in chemical makeup your dog may occasionally be sensitive to one brand name and not others. Allergies to synthetic latex are more likely to be contact allergies than anything else.

    Can dogs die from eating rubber?

    It is common that dogs eat things that cannot be digested – vomit some of it up (but not all) and end up requiring surgery to remove the remaining pieces. … The best thing to do is to take your dog to your vet and have him evaluated. They may want to do radiographs. If untreated – this could be fatal.

    Why does my dog eat gloves?

    If your beloved doggie will eat practically anything in front of him, don’t just chalk his dining preferences up to a naturally zany temperament or huge appetite. When a dog obsessively eats random items such as socks and gloves, a compulsive disorder such as pica may be to blame.

    Cloves appear to be relatively safe for dogs. Interestingly, clove powder or oil can cause numbness and is sometimes used as a natural pain reliever in people for mouth pain.

    Trained service dog needed for teacher with severe latex allergy