Is Loratadine Poisonous to Dogs? Addressing Loratadine Overdose In Dogs
Whether or not Loratadine ingestion is dangerous for a dog is highly dependent on the size of the dog as well as any other ingredients within the antihistamine tablet.
If you have a very small pup and it got its paws on 10 milligrams of loratadine, it would probably be a good idea to keep a close eye and take them to the vet if symptoms discussed above start showing.
However, if you have a large dog and there are no other active ingredients found in the antihistamine tablet, the dog should be relatively safe.
It is actually pretty common for a vet to prescribe an antihistamine such as Loratadine- commercially known as Claritin- to dogs to reduce allergic reactions that they may be suffering from.
However, when purchasing an over-the-counter antihistamine, dog owners need to be aware that some of these pills contain decongestants. You will need to avoid antihistamine products that contain decongestants because they’re very dangerous to pets.
You may find that your fluffy poodle or Golden Retriever will display dangerous symptoms if it ingests a decongestant. Often these can be complications such as a rise in heart rate, hyperactivity, breathing problems, muscle tremors, and seizures.
To ensure that the Loratadine product you purchase is not poisonous to your dog, you’ll need to check if it has a decongestant component. The safest brands of antihistamine products for your dog include:
The type of brands you should definitely avoid giving to your dogs so that they are not poisoned include:
You will find that Claritin without a decongestant or other dangerous ingredient (such as pseudoephedrine) is safe for a dog when given at the correct dosage.
Best of all, your dog will not get drowsy on Claritin as it would if given comparable medications such as Benadryl.
What is Loratadine?
Loratadine (also called Claritin) is an antihistamine that’s used to treat allergy symptoms such as itching, watery eyes, sneezing, runny nose, and more. It’s also used to treat hives and prevent/treat serious allergic reactions.
While Loratadine is safe for humans? What about dogs? Is Loratadine safe for dogs?
What Happens If A Dog Eats Loratadine?
It can be a scary scenario when your pup gets a hold of medications. If your dog accidentally eats loratadine, it is more likely to get sick from ingestion of this antihistamine if the amount swallowed was significant.
However, if your dog only ate 10mg of loratadine (and even if it had multiple pills of the medication), it is unlikely to experience severe symptoms because this is a relatively small amount for your pet.
Luckily, loratadine is one of the safer antihistamines out there when it comes to canines.
Drug trials have shown that even amounts of up to 2.3 grams per pound of body weight will not be fatal to dogs (though it may lead to serious complications).
If your dog ever eats anything close to 2.3 grams of loratadine, he or she may experience seizures, significant changes in body temperature, and excessive drowsiness.
However, if you’ve found our site (welcome, by the way!) by Googling “my dog ate 10mg of loratadine,” you likely have little to worry about due to the miniscule amount.
Nonetheless, if you believe your canine is experiencing some kind of antihistamine toxicity, it would be good to watch out for the following symptoms:
If the symptoms are severe enough, a dog can become seriously ill and even be at risk of dying. To avoid this devastating scenario, take your canine to the vet as soon as possible if they are displaying these worrying symptoms.
Can dogs take 10mg loratadine?
What happens if I give my dog too much loratadine?
At higher doses, human patients complain of headaches, drowsiness, and dry mouth. In dogs, vomiting, lethargy, urine retention, and diarrhea have been reported. Signs of overdose include rapid heart rate, hyperactivity, or depression, depending on how much was ingested.
Is loratadine toxic to dogs?
How much loratadine can I give my dog a day?