My Dog Ate 2 Chocolate Chip Cookies

So it’s no surprise that we humans use it to make our cookies, cakes, candies, and ice cream taste extra yummy…

Well, this is a very true statement, and if you’re here right now, it’s probably because you’re asking yourself questions like…

What if my dog ate 20 chocolate chip cookies when I wasn’t looking? Do I need to rush him to the hospital? Will he be ok?

These are the types of questions we’ll be answering in this article, and we’ll be doing that by going over the following information…

In the end, you’ll know why the chocolate in chocolate chip cookies is toxic for dogs, and you’ll also know exactly what you should do if your dog ate chocolate chip cookies…

What Should I Do if My Dog Ate Chocolate? If you think your dog has eaten chocolate, or they have any of these symptoms, contact the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or your veterinarian or emergency vet right away: Vomiting. Diarrhea.

Why Is Chocolate Toxic to Dogs?

Chocolate contains two ingredients that can be toxic to dogs: caffeine and theobromine. The amount of these two ingredients vary according to the type of chocolate and the percentage of cocoa solids it contains. Dark chocolate typically contains the highest amount of these toxic ingredients, milk chocolate has moderate content and white chocolate contains the least.

The type of chocolate, the amount ingested, and the size of the dog all have a part to play in the effect on your dog. For example, if a small breed dog eats a large quantity of dark chocolate then there is a higher likelihood of a negative effect compared to a large dog. Therefore, the symptoms seen in our pets may range from no signs at all, a simple upset tummy to severe life-threatening problems. Chocolate and caffeine both act as stimulants in the brain and heart causing hyperactivity, rapid heart rate, muscle tremors, and possibly death. Unfortunately, if left untreated, the effects of chocolate toxicity may lead to death within 24 hours.

The effects of chocolate toxicity can be seen as early as one hour after ingestion. Other symptoms may include:

  • Vomiting and diarrhea
  • Weakness and tiredness
  • Panting and restlessness
  • Seizures
  • How Much Chocolate is Bad for a Dog?

    My Dog Ate 2 Chocolate Chip Cookies

    While there is no “safe” amount of chocolate for dogs – there are thresholds at which different dogs can consume chocolate and not be in danger.

    Did your dog get into your weed or weed edibles? Check out our post Help! My Dog Ate My Weed to learn about marijuana intoxication and poisoning in dogs.

    With this basic body weight rule in mind a Labrador Retriever will be able to eat more chocolate without side effects than a Chihuahua.

    Because chocolate chip cookies almost always contain more cookie than chocolate, in most cases if your dog ate a SINGLE chocolate chip cookie they are unlikely to be in danger. Or if the cookie was actually a carob recipe or dog safe “fake chocolate” then you are perfectly OK.

    You can find carob chips like these OliveNation Unsweetened Carob Chips on Amazon.

    However if your dog is a puppy or very old or if the cookie contains very dark bakers chocolate it can be more of a threat.

    It’s the dose that makes the poison! Pets that ingest a few M&Ms or 1-2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie are unlikely to develop chocolate poisoning.

  • For milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight may put dogs at risk for chocolate poisoning.
  • Ingestions of more than 0.13 ounces per pound of dark or semi-sweet chocolate may cause poisoning.
  • Almost all ingestions of baker’s chocolate can result in poisoning and are considered emergencies.
  • Very young, geriatric and animals with underlying disease must be treated more conservatively as they are more at risk for poisoning than healthy adult animals.
  • Due to the large amount of fat in chocolate, some pets may develop pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) after eating chocolate or baked goods containing chocolate (see fatty foods).
  • What do you do if your dog eats something else, like an aluminum can? Check out our post “Help! My dog ate and aluminum can!” to learn more.

    Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Chip Cookies?

    Chocolate chip cookies contain chocolate, which is poisonous to dogs. Luckily, the amount of chocolate in a cookie is usually small, but if the chocolate is dark chocolate or your dog eats several cookies, they could be bad for dogs. In addition, chocolate-chip cookies can contain other ingredients that could make them worse for dogs. Added raisins, nuts, or cocoa all make them more toxic. It is not recommended that you feed your dog chocolate chip cookies, as they can be poisonous.

    My Dog Ate 2 Chocolate Chip Cookies


    Can a dog survive eating a chocolate chip cookie?

    No. The main ingredients in chocolate chip cookies are not good for dogs, including chocolate, wheat flour, and sugar. In particular, chocolate is toxic to dogs because it contains methylxanthines like caffeine and theobromine, which dogs cannot break down like we can.

    What should I do if my dog eats a chocolate chip cookie?

    Monitor him for vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, muscle rigidity, rapid breathing without exertion, or increased body temperature. If he displays ony of these symptoms, get him to a vet right away.

    Will 2 pieces of chocolate hurt a dog?

    The chocolate toxicity calculator on estimates that a standard-sized extra dark chocolate bar would warrant emergency treatment for a small dog weighing 11-26 pounds. It estimates that two and a half standard milk chocolate bars is enough to be a lethal dose for a small dog.

    Will a chocolate cookie hurt my dog?

    Chocolate is toxic to dogs because of a chemical called theobromine, along with caffeine. Dogs are unable to metabolize these chemicals the way humans can! The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic and dangerous it is to your furry friend.